Bought a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcusjb

Riding fixed is sort of just like riding a bike. There is very little difference, except that everything is different!

You will 'get it' pretty quickly as there is not much to get. Just keep pedalling. And if you forget to pedal, the bike will soon remind you.

The trickiest thing to get used to on fixed is descending. It can be quite tough, and never let the bike take control, you must always be pedalling and applying pressure.

Enjoy it!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It is set up for single speed at the mo, I am a bit nervous about going fixed.............any advice or comments?
do some single speed miles then stop and ride home fixed and i bet you are smiling by the time you get home

There is a reason fixed gear bikes are still ridden despite the proliferation of lightweight carbon bikes with 30+ gears. First off it really is fun, no thought required, just pedal. In time you will know which gear ratio best suits you, do not listen to anyone else! The only downside I can think of [and not really because you can change the rear sprocket / chainring if absolutely necessary] is if you want to take your bike to a more mountainous area.
The upsides are many, as time goes by your riding style becomes very smooth and fluid together with climbing technique to the point that others riding with you on gears are at a loss to understand how you are able to do it. Rides do not need to be as far to get the same benefit as gears; you warm up quicker in cold weather; cleaning the bike is much easier and takes less time; awareness and anticipation are key to riding fixed, more subconscious than anything but they will improve.
As @marcusjb points out, descending takes practice, particularly if you have steep hills to negotiate with junctions at the bottom without any runout, learn to leg brake, it will come with practice, it does take time.
Regarding your new purchase, as others have said, change the bars and put the brakes in the proper place, they need to be where your arms have most control over the bike and it isn't where they are now. Put some mudguards on if you can. Good luck with it and stick at it, not everyone "gets it" on the first few rides, when it does click it will be a revelation.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Fixed gear is great if:

1) you want to build up your 'slowing down' muscles, and

2) you don't mind being limited by your bike!

OP
OP
PaddyMcc

PaddyMcc

Über Member
Another question. Should I go clipless? I have Shimano PD34s fitted to allow a choice. Thanks in advance. BTW looking at the weather forecast first ride will be tomorrow afternoon.

U

User19783

IMO, yes you do need to be clip less, as it helps getting up then big hills,
I use LOOK classic,
As for PD34, not sure, I guess as long as your feet stays clipped in, shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
PaddyMcc

PaddyMcc

Über Member
Had my first fixie ride today. I live on a hill and had to get to the bottom where there is a junction. I thought WTF am I doing this for, mad, out of control, couldn't get my left foot clipped in. But, 15 miles later I had the hang of it more or less. I went with my girlfriend on her Btwin 500 SE and I actually feel I got a work out rather than coasting along beside her. All in all I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next ride
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@PaddyMcc glad you enjoyed it

Top Bottom