Bought a new bike was I hoodwinked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I agree but sadly a lot on here are throwing a lot of shade at me and being rude because they have had bad experiences on Ebay. But have any of them advertised products as a few years old when its 10 years old?
You said that the seller didn't know the exact age of the bike. The seller is under no obligation to check this. They did not state the exact age of the bike, they used the term in question, which you interpreted in a specific way. You did not check the age of the bike. You seek to blame the seller, having already called them 'very dishonest'.

I don't think your stance is reasonable.

Now if the bike's a shed when it arrived, and therefore not as described, that will be a different matter.

I agree but sadly a lot on here are throwing a lot of shade at me and being rude because they have had bad experiences on Ebay. But have any of them advertised products as a few years old when its 10 years old?

I think, pay them no time, they are just responding they way the feel, and it shouldn’t matter to you greatly.

Plus I don't even know what sort of condition it is yet could be a wreck with cracked forks.
This is the important point, and you may EQUALLY have absolutely no issues, you’re anxious about what might be wrong with it. At this stage, I don’t think you can ‘know’ if you’ve been hoodwinked as the title of this thread asks.
On Tuesday, you will be able to assess whether or not you have been hoodwinked, but at this stage, and with all the advice and comment from others, no body knows.
Please don’t feel bad, because you will know, you just have to be patient.
I think it’s an OK deal, I purchased an old-ish BeOne some years ago, as a ‘used by 2 previous owners’ bike, and it was (up to that point) the best road bike I have ever had the pleasure to ride.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

I think, pay them no time, they are just responding they way the feel, and it shouldn’t matter to you greatly.

This is the important point, and you may EQUALLY have absolutely no issues, you’re anxious about what might be wrong with it. At this stage, I don’t think you can ‘know’ if you’ve been hoodwinked as the title of this thread asks.
On Tuesday, you will be able to assess whether or not you have been hoodwinked, but at this stage, and with all the advice and comment from others, no body knows.
Please don’t feel bad, because you will know, you just have to be patient.
I think it’s an OK deal, I purchased an old-ish BeOne some years ago, as a ‘used by 2 previous owners’ bike, and it was (up to that point) the best road bike I have ever had the pleasure to ride.

I don't even know how many owners this has had which is another worrying factor but if its had two long term users that didn't use it much they might not have known or realised it has issues. But yeah the last bike I bought 7 years ago for £270 has been a real workhorse. A trek domane 2.0 2014. Wanted to get an upgrade really but now I have a bike even older than that one haha. It says estimated delivery is Thursday now even though its arrived in Guernsey yesterday.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Probably too old!^_^
It's maybe on 'the few years old bikelist'

I'm joking of course!:smile:

Bit nuts that it's arrived in Guernsey already but it won't be delivered till Thursday.

They have even older bikes but not the model i'm getting which is strange. The customs are very strict here. something that size they might think something might be stashed in there.

I think it will be fine when it arrives.

Bear in mind new bikes are thin on the ground at the moment. You could easily recoup most of what you paid by selling it on if it's not to your liking.

To make you feel better....I had loads of issues with a brand new bike - that cost me £3.5k !!! - it spent most of its first summer in the repair shop.!!! - new carbon bikes are plagued with the press fit BB - which have an awful rep !

Ride it - I'm sure once you're cresting 20% hill all this will be forgotten.

If it's a nail -you won't be the first to jump the gun on a bike and regret it -but I'm sure it will be fine.

Enjoy !!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I agree but sadly a lot on here are throwing a lot of shade at me and being rude because they have had bad experiences on Ebay. But have any of them advertised products as a few years old when its 10 years old? Plus I don't even know what sort of condition it is yet could be a wreck with cracked forks.
Correct. It could be a really good bike that you may of paid a little over the odds for. If it is a goodun then no matter what others have said you will have a good bike to ride and enjoy.
Wait until you have tried it out first before making any rash decisions. It seems it will cost you a few bob to it send back, plus the hassle.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

I think it will be fine when it arrives.

Bear in mind new bikes are thin on the ground at the moment. You could easily recoup most of what you paid by selling it on if it's not to your liking.

To make you feel better....I had loads of issues with a brand new bike - that cost me £3.5k !!! - it spent most of its first summer in the repair shop.!!! - new carbon bikes are plagued with the press fit BB - which have an awful rep !

Ride it - I'm sure once you're cresting 20% hill all this will be forgotten.

If it's a nail -you won't be the first to jump the gun on a bike and regret it -but I'm sure it will be fine.

Enjoy !!

How the hell did it cost that much? I think one im getting is a press fit too.

GM

Legendary Member
Aren’t you in Guernsey? If so it’s hardly surprising it’s taking a bit longer and cost a bit more than for the mainland?

@Mralexrides off topic question, what's Guernsey like for cycling? been to Jersey loads of times, I would imagine it's a bit quieter there.
Enjoy the bike when it comes, hope it puts a smile on your face!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No-one buying anything secondhand has a god-given right to get a bargain. That's the bottom line. The seller wanted to get the best price possible, which is entirely understandable. They didn't tell the buyer any lies, and the buyer didn't ask the right questions. You can't blame the vendor for not telling a buyer something they didn't ask about in the first place.
i think the buyer probably paid too much, but no-one forced them to go ahead with the deal. When something is in short supply it's easy to overpay if you don't have the patience to just sit on your hands and wait for a better deal to come along. I've bought hardly anything bike-related since the virus kicked off, because I like to get the best bargain possible, and if I have to wait another year for the right one at the right price then that's what I have done and more than once. Act in haste, repent at leisure....

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

@Mralexrides off topic question, what's Guernsey like for cycling? been to Jersey loads of times, I would imagine it's a bit quieter there.
Enjoy the bike when it comes, hope it puts a smile on your face!

Yeah its very good but there are a lot of cars here too with huge traffic jams in areas. Some of the road designs are ridiculous. Like the center road through the island you could be waiting for hours as for people turning right they have to wait for oncoming traffic to stop and theres like 3 sets of traffic lights and crossroads on this road.. Cycling wise there's some big hills like the val de terres and near the airport and beautiful sights and scenes like the beaches. Its mostly flat and there's a pretty big cycling community here. I cycle round the whole Island every Sunday and I see hundreds of cyclists. There is a lot of cars here and Its meant to be 35 MPH speed limits but no one really obeys that. I have had some very close passes but most are usually pretty considerate . I'd say its a lot safer than UK roads for sure though. Also the winds can be very strong and headwinds can be brutal.

Top Bottom