Bought a new bike was I hoodwinked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Given how models change - often lowering spec to hit the same price point - a very similar bike with a different paint job probably was £2,500 'a few' years ago.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Good morning,

Thanks to @newfhouse for posting the link, on page 3.

Although I would have some sympathy for the seller if the bike was returned I also feel that some of blame would be his as when selling a bike at £845
A few small blemishes from use but a stunning superlight bike originally costing over £2500 a few years ago.
and
A few small blemishes from use but a stunning superlight bike originally costing over £2500 10 years ago.
are very different statements.

I know that a lot of ebay sellers regard the description area as a place where they can say what they want without any comeback but it isn't.

That the seller, as I read his response as published on this thread, seems to be saying that he didn't consider his wording too carefully, a few means not new but not retro doesn't alter how a reasonable person would read it.

Whilst I am somewhat confused why the OP bought the bike without having done an internet search for more information on it, the fact that the seller, either or did not make a misleading statement doesn't change on the basis of that a bit of research would have shown the statement to be misleading, if the statement was indeed misleading.

Bye

Ian
OTOH I don't think the statement was misleading in the way you do, and I find it difficult to imagine that, for instance, in a County Court Claim, an individual could base a case on it.

That established, as you say, I find it remarkable that the OP has not asked a single question of the seller, nor consulted the internet wrt an £800+ purchase.

This is as classic a case of Buyer's Remorse as I can remember, and seeking to rely on eBay's tendency to side with the buyer, and a spurious argument about it being mis-described is unedifying at best.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I’m sure the Marines wanted more than 10 men.

the-marines-want-a-few-good-men-3.jpg

Mo1959

Legendary Member
If it was me looking at a possible purchase, I would be looking here first to see if I could pin down the year and spec, then you could possibly still find reviews on the bike online too. Afraid it sounds like you are mostly at fault for not doing a bit of research. I don't think the seller has done anything wrong.

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/search/cannondale/?q=synapse

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
A bike was purchased on an Auction site by an individual who deemed it,at the time, unnecessary to ask questions.
Buyer is now questioning his judgement.This is buyers remorse.
It's not difficult to determine the age and specification of a bike.
I think the buyer/OP should just let this go as he is coming across as a bit of a .......:whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
Buyer fails to do adequate homework prior to throwing cash at seller. Sad, but thats the bottom line. Ride the bike, move on with life.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

No I wouldn't. Yes it is my fault for not doing homework.. I did try to find it but only came across it by accident after I'd bought it. And asking questions wouldn't have even helped as he didn't know how old it was.

vickster

Legendary Member
As linked above, bikelist is good for checking age and specs, just match the colour which is often the only thing that changes year on year. Or a Google image and text search 👍
You weren’t hoodwinked if he didn't know how old it was, few is very open as said (just like several, a number etc)

There are people buying bikes at physical stores as well as online that are beginners or not technically savy to understand the specifics to appreciate the difference it makes. I know of store assistants that have taken advantage and sold demo bikes and wrong sized bikes to make the their quota.

A 10 year old bike in a pristine and hardly used condition carries less value than a 5 year old bike of normal average use. Even in this climate. It was misleading by a mile especially if it is a mid range model. The seller's response probably threw most people off as the seller probably knew how Ebay would respond on the use of semantics.

OP's main point is few years is not the same as 10 years even in this climate of bike shortage. I would never advertise anything as a few years old when it is 10 years old. Would you?

Caveat emptor is rather convenient when it comes to newbies to anything. Taking advantage of someone using this excuse is ethically wrong. Caveat emptor in the right spirit is meant to apply in the case of buyer's remorse not false or misleading advertising. I have bought stuff that I don't need and still regret it.

I doubt someone can make a mistake on a 10 year bike of that brand and model and get the age wrong.

I would return the bike or ask for partial refund.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

There are people buying bikes at physical stores as well as online that are beginners or not technically savy to understand the specifics to appreciate the difference it makes. I know of store assistants that have taken advantage and sold demo bikes and wrong sized bikes to make the their quota.

A 10 year old bike in a pristine and hardly used condition carries less value than a 5 year old bike of normal average use. Even in this climate. It was misleading by a mile especially if it is a mid range model. The seller's response probably threw most people off as the seller probably knew how Ebay would respond on the use of semantics.

OP's main point is few years is not the same as 10 years even in this climate of bike shortage. I would never advertise anything as a few years old when it is 10 years old. Would you?

Caveat emptor is rather convenient when it comes to newbies to anything. Taking advantage of someone using this excuse is ethically wrong. Caveat emptor in the right spirit is meant to apply in the case of buyer's remorse not false or misleading advertising. I have bought stuff that I don't need and still regret it.

I doubt someone can make a mistake on a 10 year bike of that brand and model and get the age wrong.

I would return the bike or ask for partial refund.

I agree but sadly a lot on here are throwing a lot of shade at me and being rude because they have had bad experiences on Ebay. But have any of them advertised products as a few years old when its 10 years old? Plus I don't even know what sort of condition it is yet could be a wreck with cracked forks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom