Bought a new bike was I hoodwinked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
is it a superior group set? modern 105 might be better than old Ultegra
Better how?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not especially no. Certainly not in the last 10 years except 105 and Ultegra becoming 11 speed (but no more usable gears), but that one is a triple. Maybe the last 20 or 30 years with STIs.
I actually prefer my 10 speed SRAM Rival on one bike to the 11 speed on other bikes

Yeah true if its in good condition I will be happy. Its good to have people on here to bounce things off. Didn't realise what a dick I was being to him.
Depends on the condition of it specifically the carbon and if he refunds some money then I will keep it otherwise I will send back.

If you send it back I’d expect you to be down by two lots of £75 postage, as I don’t see why the seller should have to cover the cost of your change of heart, which leaves you £150 quid out of pocket and still without a bike.

Nor, particularly do I see why the seller should be expected to refund you some money just to make the contract, into which you entered, stick.

The 2 statements above say it all, really.
On a side note, how does one apply to be a Magistrate?🤣

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

We'll see what happens I think he should refund some money as his description was misleading saying it was worth £2500 a few years ago not 10 years ago.. But ive said this like 100 times now and I don't want to keep repeating myself.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
'A few' just means a small number. However, that can be a very variable amount. For instance if 'The party had 220 guests and finished at midnight but a few stayed on', that could be 25 people or more. So who can say that 10 isn't 'a few'?

Also the seller didn't say the bike was worth £2,500, just that it originally was worth that much. As the RRP was £2,499 he's telling the truth.

Also he's not responsible for you changing your mind, so I don't think a refund is justified here.

One way to ensure you haven't wasted £800 ?

Ride it
Then ride is some more

It's done - just get out and pedal - it's an £800 investment in your heart and lungs ......what could be more important than that ??

My thoughts, for what it is worth to you, is that you have made a purchase following some consideration on the known facts at the time, and decided it was worth a punt.
The facts will be enhanced once you have the bike in your hands and you can confirm them once you have ridden it.
The rest is conjecture, and comparison with what you think others might think, and that has too many negatives for me.
The proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes, so hold off any other worry, and wait to see.
It shouldn’t matter what might be, only what is, and you have to wait on the arrival to confirm.

keithmac

Guru
I feel sorry for the seller personally, sounds like you're messing him about tbh.

We've stopped selling on ebay due to timewasters, luckily most have won the auction then realised they cannot afford it. At least we haven't had to eat shipping costs.

If it is mechanically sound and you are going to reject it anyway the fair thing to do would be cover shipping costs both ways.

Looks like Russian Roulette trying to sell on ebay it seems.

A real shame as genuine buyers such as myself see it as a valuable resource, but eventually people will get fed up with the messers and the few will spoil it for the majority unfortunately..

DRM

Guru
Not especially no. Certainly not in the last 10 years except 105 and Ultegra becoming 11 speed (but no more usable gears), but that one is a triple. Maybe the last 20 or 30 years with STIs.
I actually prefer my 10 speed SRAM Rival on one bike to the 11 speed on other bikes
I'd say they have improved, I have one bike with 4600 Tiagra, one with 4700 Tiagra, the newest version is noticeably slicker than the previous version, and the cables are now under the bar tape, both 10 speed, but improvements have happened.

Good morning,

Thanks to @newfhouse for posting the link, on page 3.

Although I would have some sympathy for the seller if the bike was returned I also feel that some of blame would be his as when selling a bike at £845
A few small blemishes from use but a stunning superlight bike originally costing over £2500 a few years ago.
and
A few small blemishes from use but a stunning superlight bike originally costing over £2500 10 years ago.
are very different statements.

I know that a lot of ebay sellers regard the description area as a place where they can say what they want without any comeback but it isn't.

That the seller, as I read his response as published on this thread, seems to be saying that he didn't consider his wording too carefully, a few means not new but not retro doesn't alter how a reasonable person would read it.

Whilst I am somewhat confused why the OP bought the bike without having done an internet search for more information on it, the fact that the seller, either or did not make a misleading statement doesn't change on the basis of that a bit of research would have shown the statement to be misleading, if the statement was indeed misleading.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Thanks there seems to be quite a few jaded sellers on here that have had bad experiences. Doesn't mean that I'm not right in feeling misled. Even though you can blame me for not finding out sooner it was an older bike.

Top Bottom