Bought the Mrs an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
A second hand (ebay) TGA electric bike, one similar

201893.jpg

Plan is to head off with flasks and a packed lunch and do a bit of photography as well. Slower pace, get a bit of nature down me :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
I am thinking of a CBR600 for the wife so that she can keep up with me on a good day. Only kidding.

Why electric? I encourage my wife to excersise, not that she needs it now as it has become a habit. I do understand if there is a medical reason, where I think electric bikes are a good idea.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Some people the idea that Electric bikes are only for people with disabilities or the elderly, they reallyshould try one and see what they are like.

Jannie and I have recently sold ours after owning them for three years. We are both fit and Healthy and ride miles every week on our normal bikes

We enjoyed our Electric bikes and made lots of trips on them as they had a range of over 60 km. They made a nice change from slogging up hills.

I hope your wife enjoys the bike.

P1050882.jpg

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I love electric bikes. There are some clangers about but they all basically do the job - cheap travel for pennies without the sweat, and cut through the traffic where needed.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A second hand (ebay) TGA electric bike, one similar

201893.jpg

Plan is to head off with flasks and a packed lunch and do a bit of photography as well. Slower pace, get a bit of nature down me :smile:

Great idea and one I'm trying to persuade Mrs N of. It's stupid hilly around here and whilst I can just about hack it, no way she could. Idea would be that she has an electric bike that could give a good boost uphill, coast downhill. I would try to keep up. Out to some nice pub or other. I wonder if that could work with a leccy bike?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Idea would be that she has an electric bike that could give a good boost uphill, coast downhill. I would try to keep up. Out to some nice pub or other. I wonder if that could work with a leccy bike?

An electric bike rider on their own would tend to operate in a narrower speed range than you on your roadie.

They would climb a bit faster, but not go as fast as you on the level and, in particular, on descents.

So you could ride together, but some effort will be required by both riders to keep together.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
An electric bike rider on their own would tend to operate in a narrower speed range than you on your roadie.

They would climb a bit faster, but not go as fast as you on the level and, in particular, on descents.

So you could ride together, but some effort will be required by both riders to keep together.

You are correct in what you say but it is very little effort needed. Most of the effort would be for the Electric bike rider not to leave the roadie behind, especially into a headwind.

Here is a clip of Jannie riding up from behind on my Enduro without power on. I struggled to catch her up and then she flicks the power on and slows her pedalling down and i cant keep up with her. I am not Froome and I am riding one handed, but that bike runs at about 27 km Per hour with almost no effort in pedalling.

Riding an Electric bike and road bike together is not a problem, especially if you are not racing.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RXTFHMKJMHE

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I fitted a conversion kit to Maz's Dawes Geneva (Step-thru hybrid with 7 speed shimano hub gears) as she has arthritis in both knees and was so impressed that I wanted one for dragging the trailer up the hill/ridge we live on (the trailer sometimes carries over a hundredweight when I'm doing some 'landscaping' or fencing)
That plan got put on the backburner when I broke my femur but I expected to be back on a bike in 4-5 months unfortunately I needed a second op (remove the pin then drill out the bone and fit a bigger pin) and as part of the physiotherapy I was put onto an exercise bike at the hospital and the guy said "its a shame you have'nt got one at home" so I toyed with that idea and also getting a 'turbo trainer' and bolting one of my bikes to that but then got my trike. Only problem was that I then couldn't get up the stupid (:cursing:) hill on it limiting me to cycling along the ridge and back so the Trike got modified so that I could fit a 26inch electric front wheel kit to that (the standard front wheel was 24 inch but if I'd got a kit that size it would not have gone onto the MTB later, plus I'd have had to change the forks anyway as the dropout wasn't thick enough to accept the anti-rotation widget on the electric wheel with the standard forks)
The only snag now is I'm starting to like the trike as it is so I may need to modify the trailer hitch so that it can be pulled by the trike (the hitch clamps on to the chainstay and the trike has an axle in the way :cursing:)

The only downside to electric bikes is the cost of the battery pack, I looked into getting a second one and they are £240 so if anyone thinks of getting a secondhand e-bike that cost needs to be figured in as they have a lifespan of 3-4 years and there does not yet seem to be a standard so most are specific to one particular brand.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You are right about the batteries. Ours were 3 years old but were as good as the day we bought them when we sold them on.

Twinks

Über Member
A lady comes to my place of work in Glossop everyday from Ashton on an electric bike. She says she had an accident which left her with a brain injury (you would never, ever know it) and had her licence withdrawn. She loves it and says as well as having given her back her indepencence she just loves riding it and would now prefer it to a car anyway.:smile:

Top Bottom