Bow Roundabout- second death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
We cyclists don't count.We are a nuisance to car and lorry drivers.It's the old argument 'you don't pay road tax' if they only could hear themselves.We are not surrounded by a metal cage so one clip and it's a good chance you are going to get really hurt.
There is no policy by anyone in Gov to promote cycling as a healthy lifestyle or a way to get too and from work.We are missunderstood.Just check out the clips in commuting and on YT.We might aswell be lepers.
I don't see it changing in my lifetime.But cycling changed my life.i meet so many people talk to so many people in cafes most older than me and they tell me they used to be cyclists.And a thread is how do you ride amongst all the traffic.
Well you do or you miss out on the greatest form of enjoyment.

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
I think we all have our own thoughts as to what kind of drivers/vehicles cause accidents. I also agree with the construction traffic thoughts above. Muck and mud on the road is a constant problem with me as I cycle pass a cement works every day and the muck on the road is terrible.

I am more concerned with the design of these so called Superhighways. to me putting a few blue squares on the road doesnt make a road safer. I use CS3 everyday this one makes a bit of sense with the vast majority of it being a totally seperate lane off the road. This does cause a few problems with a few pedestrians but i would rather have a collision with a person then a cement lorry. Until such time as a total redesign of roads in london is made I consider the superhighways a waste of time.

lukesdad

I spent 12 years commuting from SW19 to the west end back in the late seventies and eighties. Returning reugularly on the bike up untill 10 years ago. Ive been back this year and the change has been remarkable. The numbers of cyclists and facilities are a credit to the city, compared to when i used to ride there. On my return this year I was surprised at the courtesy shown by the majority of car drivers, however this was not replicated by so called proffessional drivers. The lorries in particular were a menace. I had the misfortune one day of being hooked by my rucksack on the side of a low loader on the edgeware road resulting in some nasty injuries the driver wasn t even prosecuted.

Anyway to get to my point, I may be corrected on this, but looking as an outsider in as it were. It would seem to me there are many interested parties who would benefit from action to reduce the risk posed here. My question is, do you have a coherent campaign amongst these groups, if not why not ?

For years rural Britain had groups fighting amongst themselves to acheive similar aims, untill the formation of the countryside alliance came into being. As we know this became a powerful voice recognised throughout the country.

It seems to me from the evidence , from here and other sources that the cycling fraternity is a little inward looking. Instead of the confrontional attitude of some (them and us syndrome) would it not be time to burn some bridges, and make, what some would see as an uncomfortable alliance (on this subject anyway) with the private motorist or organisations to bring pressure to bare. Im sure you have residents associations etc. who also have a vested interest, the question again is are you all speaking with one voice. Of course all groups would have their priorities and differences, but if the will amongst the capitals population is there, Im sure nothing is insumountable.

As I say just a thought from an ex londoner looking on.

Top Bottom