Bow Roundabout- second death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

I'm more a plodder these days.However I will still go L for leather on dangerous roundabouts.Very aware and aggressive cycling means you can out sprint traffic and greatly reduce risk.It is probably why naturally more cautious females appear to be at far greater risk here.

I'm not sure I agree with the gender-related part of this argument... I see little evidence for it. My daughter displays no 'natural caution' on a bike. She's played torreador with taxis in Paris and won.

However, to date I have found that a 'sprinty' approach to junctions and an 'all knees and elbows' approach to getting through traffic does have safety benefits.

In the past I've called it the Schwantz or Simoncelli method of making space, but recent events have made that comparison invalid (and perhaps even draw into the question whether using it is in good taste).

So... I agree that speed and assertiveness 9rather than aggression) can help, but I don't buy the gender thing.

dawesome

The numbers are too small to draw any conclusions about gender and fatal RTCs.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I'm a fat cyclist. Do I get to live or die in your brave new world?

All cyclists are fit and healthy. The difference between people who have always cycled, and people who have just started to cycle is timing. You might be a bit large and chosen cycling to loose a few pounds but when you sit in the saddle, you become a menace to other road users (not saying you are).
I am not saying that people should get to die just because they drive, as most cyclists who driver are very courteous towards everyone else. It is just the obnoxious drivers who dont have a care in the world who deserve to die. Then it will be an equal distribution between cyclists, good vehicle drivers, and accidental deaths which noone could have avoided.

dawesome

Nobody "deserves" to die, good grief! We're veering between absurd extremes, Lee's dishonest victim-blaming and you wishing death on errant drivers, sheesh!

These deaths are avoidable, the best way to avoid them is to focus on the most common cause, bad driver behaviour.

Bicycle

The majority of deaths are avoidable but dont you agree that with less people around (stop population growth) there would be less deaths on the roads?

This sort of post will always attract a fairly strong response; rightly so.

Forum members simply do not want to read this sort of thing.

All will share my horror at your apparent confusion between countable and uncountable nouns.

I believe the phrase you were searching for is 'fewer deaths'.

vickster

Legendary Member
How do you propose to stop population growth? Enforced sterilisation? :wacko:

subaqua

What’s the point
wow so scaffolders and tipper drivers are sociopaths .

better tell my dad then , he drove tippers for 20 years and never killed anybody. he very nearly killed himself in a tipper to avoid killing another road user who did something stupid . broke his spine and nearly paralysed him . but that generalisation is OK I suppose.

as for scaffolders , most I know and deal with are just like you and me. normal people don't generalise like that please it lowers the tonne and does nothing for your argument.

i can also guarantee that 99% of cars on the road are aslo driven outside the law. albeit minor deviations . driving hours offences can be as simple as not pressing the right button on the tacho at the right time . doesn't mean the driver has not rested properly it means he didn't press the right button

vickster

Legendary Member
They didn't sterilise anyone (just enforced the policy through fiancial penalties and I expect a little bit of terror chucked in too I expect). We don't live in a totalitarian state.

Maybe you want to go back to the early 1940s in Germany where they exterminated people who didn't fit the mould? The disabled including the 'educationally sub normal' Jews, homosexuals, Romany gypsies to name a few...

Maybe we should just encourage motorists to run over a few more cyclists while no one is watching? Bit of survival of the fittest, natural selection? Cripes :wacko:

Top Bottom