Bowie gone now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I can't say I was a huge Bowie fan, but I have an enormous respect for any musician who constantly innovated and wasn't content just to rehash his old stuff all the time.

And it's refreshing to find that for once, when someone has died, all the tributes appear to be warm and heartfelt and the worst thing that anyone has been able to say about him so far is that he could be a bit curmudgeonly.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I almost wore Hunky Dory out when it was released back in the early 70s. I've still got it but no record player!
Bewlay Brothers was my fave then. Still a great song

Thank you for the reminder. I had not heard it for years until tonight. A mighty blast of nostalgia from my teenage years of Canadian Club & Coke, Afghan Black, Old Holborn and hopeless, hopeless yearnings.
A wonderful song.:smile:

Colin_P

Guru
Like many others, he has provided the soundtrack to my life.

Although his output was diminished in later years, he was always there. I remember in 2013 when the next day album came out of nowhere it was like receiving a heartfelt gift. He was always relevant and never turned into a pastiche of himself. Not got Blackstar yet but it will be with heavy heart it is listened to. Have seen the Lazarus video which caused goosebumps but not in the nice way.

In my mind he was also arguably the coolest human being to have ever lived.

I was never his biggest fan but over the past few years, attempting to educate my kids in "proper" (ie. old man's stuff) music, played his music more than I ever did in my yoof. My kids, (4, 5 & 8) love him.
Played Life On Mars in the van to work and realised just how much he had figured in the soundtrack of my life.
RIP. A uniquely British artist and a great talent.

fimm

Veteran
I've just tracked down and listened to "Let's Dance" and confirmed that it is indeed the "Let's Dance / Put on your red shoes and dance the blues" song that lives in my head that I didn't know what it was or where it had come from. I listened to classical music almost exclusively when I was younger, a song had to be big indeed to insert itself into my brain like that.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
W1Rpt64.jpg

How the heck did Keith Richards outlive him?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Agent Hilda

The Babe
I’m looking out of the office window at the slipper of a moon through the dark branches of our tree.
The window has rain on it. My hands are cold.

I am so sad

A long long time ago on a planet far far away I was at a party in a 60’s semi in Surrey. It was a boozy dopey party. I had two boyfriends who were brothers. Funnily enough, called Simon and John C. One was in the sixth form and dark, one was in my class and blonde. The fight hadn’t happened.

They put a record on the record player. It was Ch ch ch changes, by David Bowie. One of the boys had monster flares. I was wearing pin stripped trousers and a waist coat that my mum made for me from a pattern, copied from some Oxford Bags in Chelsea Girl.

We kissed. Someone opened a giant can of beer and it exploded onto the ceiling. We put asprin in bottles of cider.

When I heard Bowie was dead, I was stunned. I sent a text. ‘Have a coffee. On bike! Bowie died ’. I was on the trainer crying, cycling, being flimsy. How odd. He never knew me, never met me, never read a facebook post, or a tweet.

I don’t want David Bowie to rest in peace, I want him to be here, being cool. There isn’t anyone else .

And no piece of music ever took me back so fast to one moment, to one particular feeling as that. That’s why we are so sad and put out flowers and sing his songs in wet squares and put up pictures of him.

For me it’s a loss and I am sorry for us all.

Top Bottom