Bowing to the queen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a bit of a debate going on about whether Andy Murray is going to bow to the queen at Wimbledon.

Should he (or anyone) have to do this?

Personally I wouldn't. Why should I?

She's not the true Queen of England so there's no way I would.:blush:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
No. A head of state is an outdated concept, that said Andy Murray's ideas on this sort of thing are only one step further along so one could say his ideas are just as outdated - debatable point.

adscrim

Veteran
marinyork said:
No. A head of state is an outdated concept, that said Andy Murray's ideas on this sort of thing are only one step further along so one could say his ideas are just as outdated - debatable point.

That depends on what his views actually are. The way I read it he is unsure of the 'correct' procedure and would decide after talking it over with whoever he would be playing. That said, he's stated at the same time it would be a great honour to play infront on the queen.

It's been turned into another Andy Murray hates all English debate, which irrelevant of whether you like Mr Grumpy or not, it's not.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wouldn't have a problem curtseying to the Queen - its part of the whole sense of occasion of the whole thing. It makes it very British .. like eating strawberries and drinking Pimm's ... delicious.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
summerdays said:
I wouldn't have a problem curtseying to the Queen - its part of the whole sense of occasion of the whole thing. It makes it very British .. like eating strawberries and drinking Pimm's ... deliciou.s

Nor me :blush:

Can you recommend a nice outfit for the occasion? :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
twentysix by twentyfive said:
Nor me :blush:

Can you recommend a nice outfit for the occasion? :biggrin:

A little short skirt perhaps ... borrow a friend's short skirt (unless you have one already of course;)) - take a photo and post it on here for me to check it looks ok - see I'm thinking of you!

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
mmm thinks, ok so now ive thunk,
she is the true queen because she is the queen now, just as i am english now i come from norman stock (i belive) but i am what i concider myself to be, and wheather we like it or not she is our queen, if anyone dosent like this i think they are free to surender there passport and there nationallity? has anyone shown this conviction? ive seen people bow to there gods, i find this stranger than someone bowing to there queen. but it dosent upset or offend me, and is to be comended that they want to be part of something bigger than there selves. ok rant over,ps tow questions
1 did this make sence?
2 do i come here often?

darkstar

First of all i have to say i Like Murray, he's done well with the huge attention on him, recording everything he says. I would slip up many more times than he has if I were in the same position! People citicising him for having no 'charm' or 'personality' are just ridiculous, he has been trained to be as professional as possible in the interviews, I've heard he's a right character away from the media.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:
There's a bit of a debate going on about whether Andy Murray is going to bow to the queen at Wimbledon.

Should he (or anyone) have to do this?

Personally I wouldn't. Why should I?

Because she's the QUEEN and you're just a peasant. Tsk tsk.

The Queen is more German than English. Her family name before they changed it in WW1 was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

The last true English monarch was Richard Mk3 before he was murdered by the Welsh/French mans army.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
How about if he repeated the Earl of Oxfords's social indiscretion when bowing before QE1? He let one go rather noisily and was so mortified he went off on a self imposed exile for seven years.

Top Bottom