Bowing to the queen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
Yeah, but we're talking within the last 100 years.

You were the one who brought humpy backed Dick into it...:sad:

Who wouldn't have been King anyway, if Harold had won the day at Hastings.

postman

Legendary Member
Why all the fuss .

He'll bow OUT early enough .

darkstar

postman said:
Why all the fuss .

He'll bow OUT early enough .

He made the semi finals last year, and won 6 tourneys... That sort of comment only works when the player is crap.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Hilldodger said:
Yeah, but we're talking within the last 100 years.

My sense of history goes back a bit further than that. We've still not had a truth and reconciliation commission to deal with the Normans and get our country back.

(I would dread doing the old family tree business as I wouldn't know what to do if I found I had Norman blood.;))

Arch

Married to Night Train
Andy in Sig said:
My sense of history goes back a bit further than that. We've still not had a truth and reconciliation commission to deal with the Normans and get our country back.

(I would dread doing the old family tree business as I wouldn't know what to do if I found I had Norman blood.;))

You would have, somewhere.

I like to think I'm a first generation Norman/Saxon cross, based on surnames, but I suspect it's a bit more mixed up than that.

And suppose you don't have Norman blood? You'll maybe have Norse anyway, which comes to the same thing. Are you hoping for pure Saxon? They aren't native anyway...

With regard to the Queen issue, I'd be happy to bow to her, she is after all the head of state, and that's what you are respecting, not the individual.

I also happen to have a great deal of respect for her anyway.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't want to labour the "good manners" point, but not bowing is rather like keeping your hands in your pockets when someone extends their's for a handshake. It is rude, pure and simple. It also makes a faintly pathetic point. Robbie Coltrane pulled that stunt at a Royal performance years ago and it was toe-curling.

U

User482

Yellow Fang said:
The Queen is the head of state, so Murray should bow.

Is bowing always a requirement when meeting the head of state? Or just when it's royalty?

I see no reason to bow just because of an accident of birth.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's not rude at all.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It might be polite to do so, then again he's not playing at Buckingham Palace (there are tennis tournaments there) or receiving an award off the Queen so in formal terms I don't see it as a big deal either way. He's probably better off doing so from a PR point of view but people will always complain about something as one side has high expectations and the other side sees him as overhyped (the latest).

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
User482 said:
Is bowing always a requirement when meeting the head of state? Or just when it's royalty?

I see no reason to bow just because of an accident of birth.

Well, if you were an American and the president walked in, you'd be expected to stand up, whether you voted for him or not, or thought he was a tosser or not.

Likewise, if you were in the services and an officer walked in, you'd be expected to stand and salute. You'd be saluting the office not the person.

If you consider yourself a 'citizen of the world' rather than British then don't bow. If you have republican sentiments and you want to make a point of it, then don't bow. If you're proud to be British and you're not a republican, then bow.

U

User482

Yellow Fang said:
Well, if you were an American and the president walked in, you'd be expected to stand up, whether you voted for him or not, or thought he was a tosser or not.

Likewise, if you were in the services and an officer walked in, you'd be expected to stand and salute. You'd be saluting the office not the person.

If you consider yourself a 'citizen of the world' rather than British then don't bow. If you have republican sentiments and you want to make a point of it, then don't bow. If you're proud to be British and you're not a republican, then bow.

There's a difference between respect and subservience. Bowing is subservience.

Top Bottom