Bowing to the queen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HeyWayne

User482 said:
There's a difference between respect and subservience. Bowing is subservience.

No it isn't.

U

User482

HeyWayne said:
No it isn't.

It quite obviously is.

Anyway, I have actually met a minor royal. I didn't bow, but shook her hand and called her "ma'am". Wasn't a problem.

HeyWayne

User482 said:
It quite obviously is.

Anyway, I have actually met a minor royal. I didn't bow, but shook her hand and called her "ma'am". Wasn't a problem.

Why did you call her ma'am?

It quite obviously isn't by the way.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
How about pretending to lose a contact lens, even if you don't wear them. So you sort of bend down to look for it, thus satisfying the royal (and watchers) that you have bowed, but knowing in your heart of hearts (if you are a republican) that you haven't. :sad: Everybody's happy! :smile:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Arch said:
You would have, somewhere.

I like to think I'm a first generation Norman/Saxon cross, based on surnames, but I suspect it's a bit more mixed up than that.

And suppose you don't have Norman blood? You'll maybe have Norse anyway, which comes to the same thing. Are you hoping for pure Saxon? They aren't native anyway...

With regard to the Queen issue, I'd be happy to bow to her, she is after all the head of state, and that's what you are respecting, not the individual.

I also happen to have a great deal of respect for her anyway.

Oi, steady on! I'd want proof before accepting such a dastardly allegation. I'm quite happy that I've probably got Viking blood - they were proper Norsemen after all - but what sort of Norseman is it who takes up speaking French?

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

darkstar said:
I'll post this again as it's ridiculous that people have taken this whole thing out of context... Murray's official twitter page; "Few stories about me not bowing to the Queen if I play in front of her. Not the case, would be an honour and privilege, of course I’ll bow"

the original debate was more about whether anyone should bow, not particularly andy murray.

however, i'd be more worried about admitting you follow andy murray's twitter page than who bows or not! :sad:

darkstar

trustysteed said:
however, i'd be more worried about admitting you follow andy murray's twitter page than who bows or not! ;)
HAHA true, good point. I don't have twitter though, was watching the live Wimbledon show and Sue Barker read it out!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Andy in Sig said:
Oi, steady on! I'd want proof before accepting such a dastardly allegation. I'm quite happy that I've probably got Viking blood - they were proper Norsemen after all - but what sort of Norseman is it who takes up speaking French?

Well, a fairly clever one I'd say - learning a language is a useful skill....

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
summerdays said:
A little short skirt perhaps ... borrow a friend's short skirt (unless you have one already of course;)) - take a photo and post it on here for me to check it looks ok - see I'm thinking of you!

Not too short - don't want my cycling shorts tide mark to show after all this sunny weather. I'll have to borrow a camera too........:smile:

U

User482

HeyWayne said:
Why did you call her ma'am?

It quite obviously isn't by the way.

Out of respect. I'm happy to show respect, but not subservience. Bowing is a mark of subservience.

Top Bottom