Bowing to the queen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

Well Murray played bloody well today, so he'll be playing in front of the queen.

Not said my views on bowing to the queen yet... If i ever had the good fortune to meet her, I would bow. I would be in awe of her and want to give her maximum respect. I think some people on here think they are too important to bow, as it would imply them as second class when compared to the queen. This is ridiculous, we are all below the queen, no matter what your beliefs on the royal family.

U

User482

darkstar said:
Well Murray played bloody well today, so he'll be playing in front of the queen.

Not said my views on bowing to the queen yet... If i ever had the good fortune to meet her, I would bow. I would be in awe of her and want to give her maximum respect. I think some people on here think they are too important to bow, as it would imply them as second class when compared to the queen. This is ridiculous, we are all below the queen, no matter what your beliefs on the royal family.

No we're not.

Arch

Married to Night Train
User482 said:
No we're not.

Metaphorically we are. She's Head of State, so unless you are Hat of State, you're beneath her...:laugh:

I don't consider her above me, particularly, or better than me, but I respect the tradition and hence I'd bow (or in my case curtsey)

How would you feel about bowing to a Japanese person - is that subservience, or just respect for a tradition of greeting?

Arch said:
Metaphorically we are. She's Head of State, so unless you are Hat of State, you're beneath her...:laugh:

I don't consider her above me, particularly, or better than me, but I respect the tradition and hence I'd bow (or in my case curtsey)

How would you feel about bowing to a Japanese person - is that subservience, or just respect for a tradition of greeting?

Everyone is above you Arch, height wise anyway.:smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
darkstar said:

It is not anything to do with importance, it is merely that the idea of a head of state (whether a monarchy, president, religious leader or God) is outdated and unnecessary. Many of the other ideas along the spectrum are also the same, but slightly less so so slightly more tolerable. That's without going into any of the celebrity aspects of it, which I also dislike or even things like 'pride', 'respect' and 'awe' which all seem very out of context to me.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
marinyork said:
It is not anything to do with importance, it is merely that the idea of a head of state (whether a monarchy, president, religious leader or God) is outdated and unnecessary. Many of the other ideas along the spectrum are also the same, but slightly less so so slightly more tolerable. That's without going into any of the celebrity aspects of it, which I also dislike or even things like 'pride', 'respect' and 'awe' which all seem very out of context to me.

Maybe, "Citizen" marinyork.

It would be bloody grey old world without them though, wouldn't it?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
slowmotion said:
Maybe, "Citizen" marinyork.

It would be bloody grey old world without them though, wouldn't it?

I don't even like the term citizen particularly because it's tended to mean these days one has to do something to get it and be nasty/xenophobic to other people by a series of magic hoops.

I'm perfectly happy to keep the monarchy in the sense that I think a president and all the silly baggage that goes with that would be equally bad/worse. I suppose it would be a boring old world without them, but perhaps we can get rid of some of the other celebrities at wimbledon, expand the royal box a bit perhaps and in sporting events in general :laugh:.

U

User482

Arch said:
Metaphorically we are. She's Head of State, so unless you are Hat of State, you're beneath her...:smile:

The difference is that a Japanese person would also bow to me. It's their version of shaking hands, surely?

And how are you Arch? We haven't cycle-chatted for ages!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
What a load of cock, this thread!

P.S. I've just got in from the boozer.

Of course I wouldn't bow. Why would you? It's an archaic nonsense. I'd be polite, mind, I sometimes am or possibly are.

night, night.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
rich p said:
What a load of cock, this thread!

P.S. I've just got in from the boozer.

Of course I wouldn't bow. Why would you? It's an archaic nonsense. I'd be polite, mind, I sometimes am or possibly are.

night, night.

So that is a polite bow that costs you nothing?

darkstar

marinyork said:
If I met the queen I would feel happy to bow to her, it's not about whether we should of not, I would want to. I would feel nervous and in awe of her, simply because of the history and legacy the position holds. You can mock that view if you wish, but I have no issues with bowing to people, i'm not up myself enough to care, life will go on!

Top Bottom