Box Hill in surrey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuardTwin

I have always considered cycling up the long hill in box hill it fits my need for endurance and power, living in a hillish area with short but steep hills I can see myself enjoying this challenge. Yes I consider myself to be fit, what would you guys rate the hill in box hill surrey?

1-10

1=Easy, no effort 5= Some what effort involved. 30-40% effort 10= Hard,100% effort.
(Any other comment/opinions welcomed)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It really isn't that hard a hill to climb unless you are really going all out for it or racing.
It has a steady climbing camber with the steepest parts on the 2 zig-zags.

I would say a relatively fit cyclists wouldn't find it any problem.

It's one of those hills, like Ditchling Beacon, that has a reputation worse then it really is.

Reactions: gaz

Tim Hall

Easy. Very easy, on account of the zig zags. For more sustained effort try Ranmore Common from West Humble (just across the A24 from the start of Boxhill), or Leith Hill via Coldharbour Lane in Dorking. And for a bit more try White Downs back up on to Ranmore Common from the A25. All of these, and more, come bundled together in the shape of the Surrey Hilly 50. Can't remember when they run it though.

Reactions: gaz

PK99

Legendary Member
Easy. Very easy, on account of the zig zags. For more sustained effort try Ranmore Common from West Humble (just across the A24 from the start of Boxhill), or Leith Hill via Coldharbour Lane in Dorking. And for a bit more try White Downs back up on to Ranmore Common from the A25. All of these, and more, come bundled together in the shape of the Surrey Hilly 50. Can't remember when they run it though.

Hilly 50 runs in early March

PK99

Legendary Member
I have always considered cycling up the long hill in box hill it fits my need for endurance and power, living in a hillish area with short but steep hills I can see myself enjoying this challenge. Yes I consider myself to be fit, what would you guys rate the hill in box hill surrey?

1-10

1=Easy, no effort 5= Some what effort involved. 30-40% effort 10= Hard,100% effort.
(Any other comment/opinions welcomed)

Pretty easy. I can cruise up in middle middle of a triple with HR @ 135 (max 180ish)

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It's a lovely climb because it's not very challenging, has beautiful views, and a decent cafe.
Agree that it's not much of a challenge for someone with half-decent fitness, but that doesn't stop it being really nice.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Agree with what's been said already, Box Hill isn't much of a challenge on its own. However if you tackle the Hilly 50, you'll hit Box Hill at the end. Then it's a bit more of a challenge.

* puts note in Calendar to do Hilly 50 again in 2014.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I rode it just before the olympics so then it was beautifully smooth and a pleasure to ride. I rode it on a folder and didnt find the gradients very steep.

Like any hill it can be as hard as you like but going up steadilly and taking a break here and there to admire the view its not too taxing.
010-9.jpg

012-8.jpg

cbs

Rode it in the summer on a sportive and as has been said, it actually wasn't half as bad as I had been fearing. At that time, the surface was lovely and smooth, so it really is a pleasure for a hill. Also, if the road graffiti is still there, you can play at being a pro ^_^

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Very consistent gradient from the bottom of the Zig-zag Rd to the National Trust cafe at the 'top'. It's as hard as you want it to be, really. If you are happy to cruise up in 10 mins then it's pretty gentle, likewise it can feel brutal if you try to smash it up in the big ring...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Rode it in the summer on a sportive and as has been said, it actually wasn't half as bad as I had been fearing. At that time, the surface was lovely and smooth, so it really is a pleasure for a hill. Also, if the road graffiti is still there, you can play at being a pro ^_^

It is

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Very consistent gradient from the bottom of the Zig-zag Rd to the National Trust cafe at the 'top'. It's as hard as you want it to be, really. If you are happy to cruise up in 10 mins then it's pretty gentle, likewise it can feel brutal if you try to smash it up in the big ring...

How many times you climbed it this year Ducky? Like to hazard a guess?

VamP

Banned
If you're going for a time, then it's a good one, as it takes longer than 5 minutes and takes you above what's sustainable as a pure VO2max interval, making you consider your pacing somewhat. It's also pretty nice with the new surface, and quite fun as a descent, so if you're going for hill reps it makes a good candidate, also given relatively little traffic.

It's also got 18,000+ recorded times on Strava and as such the KOM is reasonably prized ;)

As a hill to just ride up there is no challenge it's very easy.

Top Bottom