Box Hill in surrey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I drove up it the other night in the pitch black, no way I could ride it with my knackered knee now...one goal missed for the year :sad:

Speed humps look inconvenient but it's very smooth

VamP

Banned
I drove up it the other night in the pitch black, no way I could ride it with my knackered knee now...one goal missed for the year :sad:

You don't even notice the humps on the way up, and on the way down they give you a bit of air. The old surface was much, much worse...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you're going for a time, then it's a good one, as it takes longer than 5 minutes and takes you above what's sustainable as a pure VO2max interval, making you consider your pacing somewhat. It's also pretty nice with the new surface, and quite fun as a descent, so if you're going for hill reps it makes a good candidate, also given relatively little traffic.

It's also got 18,000+ recorded times on Strava and as such the KOM is reasonably prized ;)

As a hill to just ride up there is no challenge it's very easy.

Who does hold the Strava KOM? Is it still that chappy who no one knows that was rumoured to be Miller?

OP
OP
GuardTwin

GuardTwin

Yeah those bumps...I forget about them when I am driving down to the little cafe, I ran up the hill before and that was fun and easy.....my mate thought it was a killer but hes not the self motivating exercising type lol

Hope your knee gets better!

VamP

Banned
Who does hold the Strava KOM? Is it still that chappy who no one knows that was rumoured to be Miller?

Tejvan Pettinger held for a couple of years, but Ian Bibby (Madison-Genesis) took it during the Surrey Classic this year.

Ladep Rewop

Personally I like it because it is a very consistent grade from bottom to top and you can measure your effort accordingly.

There are sharper challenges very close by should you want, two of my favourites go up to Leith Hill from the South side, Tanhurst Lane (left at the top and carry on up Leith Hill Rd) and Henhurst Cross lane which runs into Anstie Lane and emerges onto Coldharbour lane.

PK99

Legendary Member

No where near as bad as they were before the olympics!

A good ride is to do Ranmore and Box Hill, Up Ranmore, swoop down into Dorking, out past the Ashcombe school and along the cycle track by the A24 and up box hill.

An even better ride, is up Ranmore. along to and down White Down, up to Abinger Common, sweep up and round Leith Hill, via coldharbour to Dorking, along the side of the A24 to Box hill.

zizou

Veteran
I rode it in the Ride London 100 and as i was going up i held a fair bit in reserve as i was expecting a hard bit to come...it never did. I wasnt expecting Alp d'Huez but i was expecting something more than what was there because of how famous it is. Its a very pleasant climb though in large part thanks to the quality of the road surface. By comparision Leith Hill which was shortly before was much harder - steeper and a draggy surface.

On another note the amount of strava segments for Box Hill is ridiculous, there were about 40 or so!

Tim Hall

No where near as bad as they were before the olympics!

A good ride is to do Ranmore and Box Hill, Up Ranmore, swoop down into Dorking, out past the Ashcombe school and along the cycle track by the A24 and up box hill.

An even better ride, is up Ranmore. along to and down White Down, up to Abinger Common, sweep up and round Leith Hill, via coldharbour to Dorking, along the side of the A24 to Box hill.
I was on a Tandem Club ride once. We all went up Ranmore from West Humble, along the top, turn right. By this time we were off the back of the group. We went down White Down, to find no tandemists. We waited. And waited a bit more. We'd missed the fact that the group had turned off along the bridleway at the top of White Down, so had to climb up it again. Oh how we laughed.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Them Lundun types are always bangin on about Box Hill like it's a huge mountain when in fact it's barely a pimple. Go ride in Scotland or Wales and you will appreciate what true hills are like!! , or better yet take a trip to the Alps and visit a few real mountains, they will certainly alter your perspective on what the south east has to offer.

Top Bottom