Boxing Day rides...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimidh

Veteran
We are out tomorrow doing the Edinburgh Christmas fair stuff with a couple of other families but I'll just about sneak in a wee MTB into the Pentlands tomorrow if it's not too windy.

If it is then a wee CX ride through the woods and railway tracks xx

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I was planning on having a ride out this morning but after the night I had sleeping on my parents sofa I just couldn't find the energy. Got up at 6 and then fell asleep again at 11 for 3 hours. I didn't indulge in the food too much but I did eat a rather large Toblerone for breakfast so I'll probably be doing 20 miles or so tomorrow.

If the weather's good I'll be going down the coast trails, if it's not I'll still be down the coast trails.

GOAB

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got a 51 km (32 mile) singlespeed ride in this morning.

My sister is coming up tomorrow but I asked her not to arrive before 2 pm so I have time to do a similar ride tomorrow before she gets here.

If the weather is iffy then it will be another singlespeed ride up and down the local valley roads. If the weather is okay though, then I will hit the hills on my Cannondale.

I need to get another 266 km (165 miles) in by New Year's Eve to achieve my 2016 target. I can't ride on Tuesday so that means an average of about 53 km (33 miles) on all of the other days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
If the weather is iffy then it will be another singlespeed ride up and down the local valley roads. If the weather is okay though, then I will hit the hills on my Cannondale.
Forecast looks good here, so keeping fingers crossed for some nice views around the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I got a 51 km (32 mile) singlespeed ride in this morning.

My sister is coming up tomorrow but I asked her not to arrive before 2 pm so I have time to do a similar ride tomorrow before she gets here.

I need to get another 266 km (165 miles) in by New Year's Eve to achieve my 2016 target. I can't ride on Tuesday so that means an average of about 53 km (33 miles) on all of the other days.
I have given up targets earlier this year and feel better for it. No more pressure to go out because I have to. Now, I go out because I want to.

ColinJ

I have given up targets earlier this year and feel better for it. No more pressure to go out because I have to. Now, I go out because I want to.
Last winter I did hardly any rides from Christmas through to February. It took me until about August to get My fitness back to where it had been the previous November!

I don't actually want to ride much in the UK about 75% of the days in the year. I only really enjoy rides on warm, sunny days with not much wind.

If I didn't set myself targets I would probably ride less than 2,500 km a year, would get very unfit, pile weight on, spend about 160 of the 168 hours in a week alone indoors, and get depressed.

So ... I set myself targets! :okay:

DRHysted

Guru
9 miles home from work in about 2 hours time.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Last winter I did hardly any rides from Christmas through to February. It took me until about August to get My fitness back to where it had been the previous November!

I don't actually want to ride much in the UK about 75% of the days in the year. I only really enjoy rides on warm, sunny days with not much wind.

If I didn't set myself targets I would probably ride less than 2,500 km a year, would get very unfit, pile weight on, spend about 160 of the 168 hours in a week alone indoors, and get depressed.

So ... I set myself targets! :okay:
That's fair comments.

I only really enjoy rides on warm, sunny days with not much wind.

Methinks you're living in the wrong bit of the country/planet for such conditions colin :smile: Look on the bright side - your neck of the woods wouldn't be so beautiful in its own way if it wasn't for all that rain and wind.

And can you really imagine Heathcliff in speedos?

all the best, happy new year's cycling.

ColinJ

Methinks you're living in the wrong bit of the country/planet for such conditions colin :smile: Look on the bright side - your neck of the woods wouldn't be so beautiful in its own way if it wasn't for all that rain and wind.

And can you really imagine Heathcliff in speedos?

all the best, happy new year's cycling.
Aaargh ... I made the mistake of having a pot of coffee when I got home after my Christmas Day outing and then I wolfed down a bag of coffee-chocs. The caffeine buzz kept me awake until about 06:00 and then my alarm woke me at 08:00 for today's ride. I'm absolutely knackered without even touching my bike and there is a bitter wind blowing and it is getting stronger ...

Ha - I'm taking @gavroche's advice and having a day off the bike! :okay:

I've just watched the desert episode of Planet Earth II instead of riding. I'll have a snooze then a tidy up before my sister gets here. Another day off tomorrow then decent rides on Thu - Sat should just about see me through to my target distance.

Alan O

Über Member
Whoa, nice idea, but... there's so much food leftover from yesterday that today is going to be a concerted effort to eat fry-up until my braces burst!

Maybe tomorrow :rolleyes:

(Update: Actually, if I'm feeling really energetic later, I might retape some handlebars)

Top Bottom