Brace yourself!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The car is only used by SWMBO as a runaround to shops etc, given we do not live near amenities and shes on lifetime medication for hormone replacement that causes tiredness etc i will lether off.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've become a bit immune to the cost of petrol, other than it costs me more and more to run to North Wales with the bikes on the car. My wife's car is very economical, mine quite a bit less so :sad: , but it's the one that carries the bikes.

Both are at least 10 years old now (owned from new/near new). Thank god I am not commuting 60 plus miles each day in the car as I was 5 years ago. That cost me serious money a week, and these days it would be shocking.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
it keeps going up and up . one day who knows where it will end . i also hardly use car and when we do it never goes above 65 mph as after that the mpg falls quickly .

simon.r

Person
For reasons too complicated to explain I've been driving a new small hatchback with a 1.2 litre diesel engine for the last few weeks and I'm averaging 60 mpg+ without conciously trying. It's the first time I've driven one of the new breed of super-economy cars and I have to say I'm impressed. It's never going to break any speed records, but It will very easily keep up with traffic in an urban environment and cruise at 70mph in reasonable comfort.

I can remember (it's not that long ago) when 30mpg was normal for a car, so although fuel costs way more now, I suspect my overall fuel cost is no more than it was 20 or so years ago.

Just a thought.

Berties

Fast and careful!
In France at present just paid £1.16 a litre of diesel, and never Pay parking, have not seen a toll so far,and the roads are very good , the question is , where does all the money go?

simon.r

Person
In France at present just paid £1.16 a litre of diesel, and never Pay parking, have not seen a toll so far,and the roads are very good , the question is , where does all the money go?

AFAIK the money raised from tax on fuel goes into the general pot and is spent as our leaders see fit. There's no pretence that it's all spent on facilities for motorists.

If tax on petrol was reduced then the money would have to be raised elsewhere.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'd like to see 'road tax' abolished and petrol prices raised accordingly. pay as you go is the only way to encourage greener motoring…

I can remember (it's not that long ago) when 30mpg was normal for a car, so although fuel costs way more now, I suspect my overall fuel cost is no more than it was 20 or so years ago.

I'm getting 52mpg out of my diesel zafira, although you have to remember all modern diesel engines are surrounded by precision componants
that cost an arm and a leg when they fail, so every penny you save can be lost with the first breakdown (unless covered by warranty).
A case in point:
2003 Zafira fuel pump: £850 for refurbished unit with me fitting myself.
1994 Bmw 750i fuel pump: £73 for new unit with me fitting myself.

And yes, the beemer sucks on fuel economy at 16mpg. :wacko:

asterix

Comrade Member
Fixing the road surfaces obviously! :biggrin:

They just top-dressed my road here, have been doing loads of resurfacing are putting electricity supplies underground, build a waste water treatment plant 3 miles away and an obesity clinic 12 miles away and my neighbour just had his house rendered.. Sorry, should have said, that's in rural France. Obviously it'll all end in tears*.

*probably when I have to return to the UK

asterix

Comrade Member
For reasons too complicated to explain I've been driving a new small hatchback with a 1.2 litre diesel engine for the last few weeks and I'm averaging 60 mpg+ without conciously trying. It's the first time I've driven one of the new breed of super-economy cars and I have to say I'm impressed. It's never going to break any speed records, but It will very easily keep up with traffic in an urban environment and cruise at 70mph in reasonable comfort.

Just a thought.

Looking forward to when I don't need to buy building supplies soon and I can replace the van with one of those.

Top Bottom