Brad to support Froome for the 2013 tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Bugger...that should read 2013 in the title....DAMN my fat fingers :cursing:

thom

____
It's also just the way things are in the real world - it is rather unrealistic to go for winning consecutive tours and given the respective parcours, the Giro seems better suited to him this year than the tour is.

Am I being cynical thinking it would be better for SKY if Froome lost the Tour instead of Wiggins now that Contador is back?

BJH

Über Member
I think it was always expected that this year would be hilly and in fairness Wiggo had said this was likely earlier this year.

tigger

Über Member
Am I being cynical thinking it would be better for SKY if Froome lost the Tour instead of Wiggins now that Contador is back?

Yes. If Froome is in the same form as this years tour he's far better suited to the Parcours.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From tonights Evening Standard

BRADLEY WIGGINS faces an arduous defence of his Tour de France title after the route for the 2013 race was unveiled in Paris today. The 100th Tour, which will start in Corsica on June 29 and finish at dusk on Paris’ Champs- Elysees on July 21, includes seven mountain stages, four of which boast mountain-top finishes.
The peloton will climb Alpe d’Huez twice on stage 18 with the other summit finishes scheduled for Ax-3 Domaines, Mont Ventoux and Annecy-Semnoz.
Although there are two individual time trials and a team ride against the clock, disciplines in which Wiggins revels, the second time trial from Embrun to Chorges in the final week is hillier, with that stage and the route as a whole playing more to the strengths of Wiggins’s team-mate Chris Froome.
Team Sky have said they will wait to digest the route fully before deciding how to tackle it but it has been suggested that Froome will play the role of team leader at the Tour with Wiggins, who as defending champion will undoubtedly argue his case to head up Sky, doing so at the Giro d’Italia.
When asked to pick a team leader, Sky boss Dave Brailsford said: “We had the first and second-placed riders this year which puts us in an interesting position going into next year’s planning.
“Bradley’s the champion but the whole excitement about today is to see what the course is like and that will dictate our plans. It’s not about one rider but the team trying to put the best team out to win the race.”
The biggest threats to a continued British stranglehold on the race look likely to come from Spain’s Alberto Contador, who missed this year’s race following a doping ban, and Andy Schleck, who was ruled out by injury.
When asked for the biggest challenger in his quest for victory, Contador said: “Froome. His potential for attacking in the mountains is far, far higher. Even though it’s your form that ends up making a difference on a climb, the attacks themselves can be important.”
Froome is clear where his focus lies for next year. He said: “I do not know if I will be able to ride two big Tours. I will only be able to seek one win and I have the Tour in mind.”

So long as Sky can put together enough quality guys for each GT in order to support their GC hopes. They will need to see how many are left after their latest contractual requirement.

doctornige

So no Lance Pharmstrong "MY jersey!" nonsense then. Brad has class, but I still bet there was a hell of a discussion to get to this point.

400bhp

Guru
Pardon my ignorance, but would it be very unusual for the current TdF winner not do defend his title?

asterix

Comrade Member
Can you imagine the former winner of several TdFs saying he would support a team mates attempt instead of his own. Can't remember the guy's name, but you get the picture.

007fair

Pardon my even greater ignorance but how exactly does Brad 'support' Froome? or vice versa of course. All this LA stuff has ironically got me INTO pro cycling whereas before I could take it of leave it. So i'm not really aware of how a team mate can support another. Do they mean Brad will be a pace maker so Froome can slipstream him? If it came to the end and Brad had more energy than Froome left - would he not just take it or would he deliberately stay behind?

Top Bottom