Bradford Cycle Lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Quick update. The current official opening date for the Whinmoor/Seacroft* - Leeds section was Monday 18th July.

Unsurprisingly it's still nowhere near finished and there are still significant sections where work still hasn't even started (Shaftesbury junction outbound, the outbound section opposite Seacroft Hospital all the way to the Melbourne roundabout, for example). Where work is being carried out it is at a such a glacial pace it is difficult to establish if anything is actually being done day to day.

* - I say Whinmoor / Seacroft as no-one seems clear where it starts. The official signs indicates that the route starts on Barwick Rd at the junction with the A6120, but the route actually continues up Stocks Rd, Hansby Drive, across Seacroft Gate, through the subways under the Windmill roundabout and along York Road to (at least) around the Baildon Drive junction...
Last part sounds about right, no-one seeming to know where it starts.

classic33

Leg End Member
Has anybody elce on that stretch had problems with buses pulling out? I find that as soon as I try to overtake they pull out, they need to wait until the cyclist has gone back into the cycle lane. Gets right on my nerves.
I was considering gettting off the train the stop early from the coast where I went yesterday to avoid Leeds city centre but it was Selby and I'm not sure of the way back.
That's nothing new with regards the buses. Just they've still to operate to the timetable, with no account of the work ongoing being considered. Timetable worked out by someone who never has to use the buses in my opinion.

They still should check though, before pulling out. You've very little visual indication to go on once alongside one.

well due to my youngest going back into the LGI I will be enjoying the delights of the cycling super highway for the next 6 weeks/months :sad: it will be interesting to see how it works out when used on a regular basis .

Paul

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
They will never clear this problem up on the Bradford side, never, showing a cycle path to drivers in inner Bradford is like showing a pipe to a ferret.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/14637646.Cars_blocking_new___29m_cycle_route/

Blimey, there are some angry posters on the T&A website aren't there?
Although good to read tucked away in that article is that the scheme on the east of Leeds is now scheduled to be completed in August (which, if true, will only make it 8 months late...)

MarkF

Guru
Ticketing is down to Leeds Council along the entire length, at present.

When did you last see a Leeds Traffic Parking Officer in Bradford?

I didn't know that. But a parking officer in Bradford is a bloody thankless task. Occasionally one turns up near BRI when I am going to the bakery for my lunch, if I catch him, I get a can of pop, sit on a wall and watch it all kick off, it's one of the worlds worst jobs.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

That taxi problem was covered in a morning telly programme last week, for instance Birmingham have a 120 question taxi driver test and a local knowledge exam but other councils dont so you get a small town where summat like half the population are registered as cabbies. It makes a mockery. They did interview one cabbie who said hes only trying to save money..

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well here we are in August and there is still no sign of the eastern section of the CSH being finished (or indeed started, in places...). It remains difficult to see what is actually being done in the sections that are apparently being worked on.

Although there were adverts on local radio over the weekend stating that it is fully open and kindly reminding drivers that they had to give way to cyclists where indicated by the road markings.

Oh, and it seems that the two halves of the scheme are now numbered CS1 (Leeds - Bradford) and CS2 (Leeds - somewhere in the east of Leeds). Which is nice.

Pete Owens

Well here we are in August and there is still no sign of the eastern section of the CSH being finished (or indeed started, in places...).
Given how bad it is when they do implement things then surely we should welcome the bits that are not started - and hope that the budget runs out before they can do any more harm.

classic33

Leg End Member
Given how bad it is when they do implement things then surely we should welcome the bits that are not started - and hope that the budget runs out before they can do any more harm.
One way of looking at it.

However work has been started in various places along the route. If work were to stop, it'd leave a mess behind it.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpre...sit-to-the-leeds-bradford-cycle-superhighway/

what was particularly frustrating for me wasn’t actually the low quality. It was the inconsistency. Some sections have been built and designed reasonably well. But other sections – dealing with identical problems – have been bodged, and bodged badly, which left me wondering why a more consistent level of quality couldn’t have been achieved.

screen-shot-2016-08-11-at-02-24-52.jpg

The photograph shows that, alongside a six-lane road for motor traffic, not only will users have to swerve around traffic light posts right in the middle of the cycleway, they will then have to deal with a ‘door zone’ (indicated by the pale surfacing) created by new parking bays installed on the road – parking bays that didn’t exist before, and that, if in use, will actually block in people parking legitimately off the carriageway. In the context of such an enormous road this is very thin gruel indeed, especially when we consider that on the opposite side we have to put up with just a shared use footway.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

But if you get doored it is not a driving offence. You can be killed by being doored and the driver walks free. So cycle lanes are painted slap bang in the "Kill a Cyclist With Zero Consequences" zone. Classy.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To be clear, I feel it's the council responsible which is being criminally lethal there at many levels - including the designers who should have refused to produce plans for such deadly obstacles, the executive who should have refused to approve such plans, the contractors who should have refused to build such plans - not those who are enticed into killing or being killed by it.

Top Bottom