Bradford Cycle Lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
++Stop Press++
The CSH might be 10 months overdue and with no completion date in sight, but all is not lost - City Connect have started hanging large banners from lamp posts on the route telling us all how great it is!

I don't know who is doing their PR but they really need to have a word with themselves.

Pete Owens

++Stop Press++
The CSH might be 10 months overdue and with no completion date in sight, but all is not lost - City Connect have started hanging large banners from lamp posts on the route telling us all how great it is!

I don't know who is doing their PR but they really need to have a word with themselves.
Perhaps the period of the delay could be used to persuade them to spend the budget that is earmarked for completing this thing be redirected to removing the rubbish hat they have already subjected us to.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
City Connect have started hanging large banners from lamp posts on the route telling us all how great it is!
Time for some subvertising?

Perhaps the period of the delay could be used to persuade them to spend the budget that is earmarked for completing this thing be redirected to removing the rubbish hat they have already subjected us to.
Redirect the PR budget into fixing the worst hazards, at least!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
There is a whisper going round that the Eastern section of the CSH will be "opened" on Monday 17th October, even though CityConnect admit that there will still be work to do (possibly the understatement of the year...).

There are some interesting 'facts' listed in the FAQ section of the website too: http://cyclecityconnect.co.uk/faq/
I particularly like the following ones:
Can children’s scooters and mobility scooters use the route too?
Yes, children’s scooters and mobility scooters are able to use the route – but in the same manner as anyone using it on a bicycle, please be aware of and be respectful to anyone else using the route.

How will the superhighway be cleaned and maintained?
Also the route has been carefully designed to minimise the amount of cleaning required. For the most part it will drain into the road so that debris does not collect within the cycle track.

Where does it go?
The Cycle Superhighway will extend along a 14 mile route between east Leeds and Bradford. It will connect the new housing sites out in east Leeds, to the A64 York Road within the Leeds Ring Road. It will then use the A64 before entering Leeds City Centre. The city centre route is currently being finalised

:headshake:

Norreka

Regular
How will the superhighway be cleaned and maintained?
Also the route has been carefully designed to minimise the amount of cleaning required. For the most part it will drain into the road so that debris does not collect within the cycle track.

In that case I'd hate to think what would justify maximum cleaning! I tend to find I'm playing a constant game of "how quickly can you spot the broken glass".

mjr

Posted it on F.B. I know a few ""anti car"" cycle safety campaigners.
Really, or are they as fictional as the "segregationists" that sometimes get mentioned on this site?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Anyone used the outbound side of the CSH near Adsa at Killingbeck?
The section just before Killingbeck Drive is already thick with fallen leaves, which are wet and slippery as it's in the shade virtually all day.

Reported it as needing sweeping to the council yesterday, let's see how long it takes for it to get done. We can treat it as a likely indicator of ongoing upkeep..

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Why not? If you look at a 12 hour period of use in any day, that's 750 bikes an hour - or 12-13 bikes a minute. I don't think 12 cycles a minutes on a nine mile cycleway is going to be overwhelming...
Indeed. It's a misleading number, a slight of hand. I'd bet that the official peak flow through any toucan crossing on the route won't exceed 6/minute each/way (assuming typical tight turns on/off and 6-second green crossing light in a 76-second cycle), but that's not what they're quoting... in fact, I bet they've not even modelled the whole flow, else some of the bottlenecks would be seen as obvious problems.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Also don't forget that there are sections where overtaking a slower moving cyclist / pedestrian or mobility scooter* user is going to be virtually impossible without causing a conflict.

* - the FAQ on the city connect website states that the CSH is also for the use of these, despite them being allowed on the footpath already.

classic33

Leg End Member
Also don't forget that there are sections where overtaking a slower moving cyclist / pedestrian or mobility scooter* user is going to be virtually impossible without causing a conflict.

* - the FAQ on the city connect website states that the CSH is also for the use of these, despite them being allowed on the footpath already.
There's a genuine fear that on the approach to the hospital, that users may soon be forced to use it and not the pavement.

Which for some would be off-putting.

Top Bottom