Bradford Cycle Lane

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by glenn forger, 18 May 2015.

1. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Update - 1st September 2016: Now 9 months overdue and still nowhere near finished, some sections still haven't been started.

(The official completion date was December 2015)

classic33 likes this.
  2. NorthernDave

Update - 1st October 2016: Now 10 months overdue and still nowhere near finished, some sections still haven't been started.
    (The official completion date was December 2015)

3. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

I rode this on Friday - haven't reported the incident to CityConnect as I honestly think they can't be bothered - but a wagon used the cycle lane and the road, catching me as I was on it. This was on Stanningley Road: https://www.strava.com/activities/729788222

It's only a matter of time before someone's killed on this thing. I've ridden it 4 times since it's opened and on each one there's been at least one instance of cars / pedestrians / blockages which was dangerous on the Stanningley Road section from the interchange to the weird roundabout.

Roxy641 likes this.
  4. PMarkey

PMarkey Über Member

I gave up weeks a go and now use Tong Street , Tong Lane , Tong Road and through Armley to get to the General Infirmary when my youngest is being treated as an inpatient .

Paul

5. NorthernDave

It also looks like parking enforcement has been abandoned on the eastern section already.
    On Friday, between the Outer Ring Road and Cross Gates Lane there were half a dozen cars / vans parked on the CSH mainly outside the shops, with a couple more half on / half off the CSH on the opposite side of York Road by the cafe.

And the section from Foundry Lane to Moresdale Lane (past the new fire station) suffers from dropped kerbs on the vehicular access that aren't dropped enough leaving proud edges and large pools of standing water after even a small amount of rain that takes days to clear - that is going to be a near permanent obstacle throughout the winter then.

There is still the lack of markings showing priorities leaving some junctions in an incredibly dangerous state (reported again this week).

The above were pretty much the first sections finished (word used advisedly) on the eastern section and are indicative of the issues that beset the whole scheme.

6. NorthernDave

++Stop Press++
    The CSH might be 10 months overdue and with no completion date in sight, but all is not lost - City Connect have started hanging large banners from lamp posts on the route telling us all how great it is!

I don't know who is doing their PR but they really need to have a word with themselves.

7. Pete Owens

Pete Owens Well-Known Member

Perhaps the period of the delay could be used to persuade them to spend the budget that is earmarked for completing this thing be redirected to removing the rubbish hat they have already subjected us to.

NorthernDave likes this.
  8. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Time for some subvertising?

Redirect the PR budget into fixing the worst hazards, at least!

9. NorthernDave

Another update - its all happening now - they've started painting the tarmac green where it goes around bus stops! :okay:

MarkF likes this.
  10. NorthernDave

There is a whisper going round that the Eastern section of the CSH will be "opened" on Monday 17th October, even though CityConnect admit that there will still be work to do (possibly the understatement of the year...).

There are some interesting 'facts' listed in the FAQ section of the website too: http://cyclecityconnect.co.uk/faq/
    I particularly like the following ones:
    Can children’s scooters and mobility scooters use the route too?
    Yes, children’s scooters and mobility scooters are able to use the route – but in the same manner as anyone using it on a bicycle, please be aware of and be respectful to anyone else using the route.

How will the superhighway be cleaned and maintained?
    Also the route has been carefully designed to minimise the amount of cleaning required. For the most part it will drain into the road so that debris does not collect within the cycle track.

Where does it go?
    The Cycle Superhighway will extend along a 14 mile route between east Leeds and Bradford. It will connect the new housing sites out in east Leeds, to the A64 York Road within the Leeds Ring Road. It will then use the A64 before entering Leeds City Centre. The city centre route is currently being finalised

:headshake:

classic33 and MarkF like this.
  11. Norreka

Norreka Regular

In that case I'd hate to think what would justify maximum cleaning! I tend to find I'm playing a constant game of "how quickly can you spot the broken glass".

NorthernDave likes this.
  12. MarkF

MarkF Guru

classic33 and NorthernDave like this.
  13. Nigelnaturist

Nigelnaturist Guru

Posted it on F.B. I know a few anti car cycle safety campaigners.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2016
  14. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Really, or are they as fictional as the "segregationists" that sometimes get mentioned on this site?

15. Nigelnaturist

Nigelnaturist Guru

Lets put it this way, they get out on the road to demonstrate in numbers about safety and over use of fossil fuels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice