Bradford Cycle Lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just an update on the outer reaches of the CSH...

At the back end of last summer, the A64 York Road was resurfaced between the outer Ring Road and just before the Killingbeck RAB.

To my untrained eye, the quality of this work is poor - the road surface feels coarse and rough in a car and even now months later there are still lots of chippings about. This is not the only road to have had this quality of work carried out on it in the same period*

However I didn't realise how bad it was until yesterday (I hardly ever ride this way).
There are still an excessive amount of sharp, loose chippings on the road - so many in fact the the adjacent CSH is strewn with them in several places to the point where it's borderline dangerous in places.

Here's a few pics:
IMG_20190105_130136065.jpg
IMG_20190105_130425811.jpg
IMG_20190105_130238962.jpg
IMG_20190105_130126622.jpg
IMG_20190105_130410189.jpg

It's even worse further up the road near Aldi but I didn't take any pics there.

I've reported this to the council and will update with their response, but this hasn't got like this over night, but it's clearly unacceptable and raises serious questions about maintenance and when either the road or the CSH were last swept or inspected?

* - the other roads I know of are Stanks Drive, Shadwell Lane and Wetherby Road (Bramham), which have also been reported.

tom73

Guru
Look’s like classic tar spraying. Our street was like that for years a few side roads around here still are. The tar never seams to go off and it’s endless chippings , wet tar and pulling bits of road off the dog. Lost count of the stone chips our car had from the passing high speed clowns from down the street.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I promised an update, so here it is:

A job has been raised to sweep the CSH free of loose chippings but despite it clearly being dangerous it has a completion date in ten days...

The cases I've logged to look at the road surfaces are all still pending.

classic33

Leg End Member
I promised an update, so here it is:

A job has been raised to sweep the CSH free of loose chippings but despite it clearly being dangerous it has a completion date in ten days...

The cases I've logged to look at the road surfaces are all still pending.
Anywhere near recent works?

classic33

Leg End Member
I can report it to the company who did the work. If it's as a result of the recent work around the hospital.

It's worth pointing out to the council the contractors have a legal obligation to re-instate to the quality of the surrounding area.

Contractor fails, the council should re-instate to standard and pass the cost incurred onto the contractor.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I can report it to the company who did the work. If it's as a result of the recent work around the hospital.

It's worth pointing out to the council the contractors have a legal obligation to re-instate to the quality of the surrounding area.

Contractor fails, the council should re-instate to standard and pass the cost incurred onto the contractor.

It's a bit further up than the hospital - I'm fairly sure that this work (like the other roads I've mentioned) was carried out by the council's own Highways Department.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's a bit further up than the hospital - I'm fairly sure that this work (like the other roads I've mentioned) was carried out by the council's own Highways Department.
Sub-contractor has since gone bust.

classic33

Leg End Member
The O2 mast being put in place as you near the hospital. The company behind the work don't even know they've work ongoing by them.

They've closed a section of footpath closed off that isn't covered by the permit, putting them in breach of the permit for the works.

From there upto the roundabout, outbound, the surface is down to the gas supply. Under the pavements on either side. Which is going to be dug up to repair damage.

Had trouble with a private hire driver, who was bound for the licencing department. Ended up following him in, to register a complaint. I'm not flavour of the day in that building/department.

Went out on one side, came back the other. I'd feel safer on the actual road than on that thing. A kamikase on an electric folder decided to take to the pavement, forcing a pedestrian to step onto the CSH.

Northern Gas Networks reckon the work currently being done, should take two weeks. Provided there's no problems.

classic33

Leg End Member
@NorthernDave

The O2 mast being put in place as you near the hospital. The company behind the work don't even know they've work ongoing by them. They're unable to trace it via the permit number, the contact number is wrong. It's for their reception, not those dealing with the actual works, which has been subcontracted out to a subcontractor!!

They've closed a section of footpath closed off that isn't covered by the permit, putting them in breach of the permit for the works.

From there upto the roundabout, outbound, the surface is down to the gas supply. Under the pavements on either side. Which is going to be dug up to repair damage.

Had trouble with a private hire driver, who was bound for the licencing department. Ended up following him in, to register a complaint. I'm not flavour of the day in that building/department.

Went out on one side, came back the other. I'd feel safer on the actual road than on that thing. A kamikase on an electric folder decided to take to the pavement, forcing a pedestrian to step onto the CSH.

Northern Gas Networks reckon the work currently being done, should take two weeks. Provided there's no problems.

Top Bottom