Bradford Cycle Lane

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by glenn forger, 18 May 2015.

1. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Anyone used the outbound side of the CSH near Adsa at Killingbeck?
    The section just before Killingbeck Drive is already thick with fallen leaves, which are wet and slippery as it's in the shade virtually all day.

Reported it as needing sweeping to the council yesterday, let's see how long it takes for it to get done. We can treat it as a likely indicator of ongoing upkeep..

mjr likes this.
  2. Pete Owens

Pete Owens Well-Known Member

Do they actually believe their own hype - the superhighway simply couldn't handle 9000 cycles/day.

3. Regulator

Regulator Scourge of stale, pale, male snowflakes.

Why not? If you look at a 12 hour period of use in any day, that's 750 bikes an hour - or 12-13 bikes a minute. I don't think 12 cycles a minutes on a nine mile cycleway is going to be overwhelming...

4. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Indeed. It's a misleading number, a slight of hand. I'd bet that the official peak flow through any toucan crossing on the route won't exceed 6/minute each/way (assuming typical tight turns on/off and 6-second green crossing light in a 76-second cycle), but that's not what they're quoting... in fact, I bet they've not even modelled the whole flow, else some of the bottlenecks would be seen as obvious problems.

5. NorthernDave

Also don't forget that there are sections where overtaking a slower moving cyclist / pedestrian or mobility scooter* user is going to be virtually impossible without causing a conflict.

* - the FAQ on the city connect website states that the CSH is also for the use of these, despite them being allowed on the footpath already.

6. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

There's a genuine fear that on the approach to the hospital, that users may soon be forced to use it and not the pavement.

Which for some would be off-putting.

MarkF likes this.
  7. Pete Owens

Well that would be the case if you assumed that cycle trips were evenly spread throughut the day, that a cycle trip typically lasted for 1 minute and that it was just as likely to occur on any part of the super highway.

In the real world, typically each rush hour will acount for about 20% of the daily volume. Now, not all those journies will traverse the whole route so if we assume a 4.5m mile journey then about half of those cyclists would be expected to pass any given point on the cycleway (more on busier stretches). So 9000 trips/day would mean over 30 cyclists per minute passing busy points of the route.

They may have justified the cost based on that volume of traffic, but they certainly haven't designed the route to be able to remotely accomodate it.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2016
    classic33 and NorthernDave like this.
  8. Looking at the ops original photo it makes you wonder how much was spent on the little walls and islands seperating the bikes from the road. Dont the council realise a tin of paint will do?

There is also an issue here that I am taking up with my local council in Denmark about a new cycle path. Its not a complaint, just an observation. Why do the planners like to put unnecessary little curves and bends in cycle paths? In my experience bikes like to run in straight lines. I understand curves look nice in a cycle path. But not at 5am when its pitch black.

Nigelnaturist likes this.
  9. classic33

It's called following the road, not all of which are straight.

But that's why we have steering.

10. MarkF

MarkF Guru

It would save time if the cycle path led directly to A&E.

classic33 likes this.
  11. classic33

It'd have a bit further to go i Bradford, from Little Germany!

In Leeds, the mobility scooter issue is that users may be forced off the footpaths, because of this.

12. NorthernDave

This is a big concern, after finding it quietly tucked away in the FAQ on the City Connect website that the CSH is for mobility scooter use as well.
    I certainly don't recall any discussion about this previously and for the overwhelming majority of the route east of Leeds a mobility scooter is going to pretty much fill the cycleway, making overtaking one a near impossibility without hopping onto the footpath or back onto the road.
    And we're still assuming that users of the CSH will all be heading in the same direction on the respective sides of York Rd, as there still appears to be no signage to clarify this.

classic33 likes this.
  13. NorthernDave

Well, today is the big day, Monday 17th October - they day when the inbound side of the East Leeds section is supposed to be finished.
    http://cyclecityconnect.co.uk/news/a64-update-for-october/ (I'm happy to be corrected, but isn't the photo used to illustrate the article about the eastern side of the route actually near the former Stanningley fire station on the western side?)

It certainly didn't look that way when I passed this morning...and despite the claims in the article there still seems to be no cycling provision through the Shaftesbury Junction...

14. Regulator

Regulator Scourge of stale, pale, male snowflakes.

Err no...

30 cyclists per minute isn't a huge number. Some of the busiest junctions in Cambridge (e.g. the A1307 / A603 junction) will see twice that per minute in rush hour and that is dwarfed by what some London junctions see.

The number of cyclists using it isn't going to be the key issue. That'll be the people parking in it illegally, closely followed by the fact that it won;t be cleaned./maintained regularly...

Last edited: 17 Oct 2016
  15. Pete Owens

I can see how this large multilane road junction:
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1...4!1stYPa0QQgDr1MJVzCtS2I-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    could easily handle 30 cycles per minute. In a way that this c***y farciltity:
    http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/October2015.htm
    couldn't.
    Obviously not, since the claim that such numbers are going to materialise is an absurd fantasy.The key issue is that its rubbish.

NorthernDave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice