Bradford Cycle Lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete Owens

Why not? If you look at a 12 hour period of use in any day, that's 750 bikes an hour - or 12-13 bikes a minute. I don't think 12 cycles a minutes on a nine mile cycleway is going to be overwhelming...
Well that would be the case if you assumed that cycle trips were evenly spread throughut the day, that a cycle trip typically lasted for 1 minute and that it was just as likely to occur on any part of the super highway.

In the real world, typically each rush hour will acount for about 20% of the daily volume. Now, not all those journies will traverse the whole route so if we assume a 4.5m mile journey then about half of those cyclists would be expected to pass any given point on the cycleway (more on busier stretches). So 9000 trips/day would mean over 30 cyclists per minute passing busy points of the route.

They may have justified the cost based on that volume of traffic, but they certainly haven't designed the route to be able to remotely accomodate it.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Looking at the ops original photo it makes you wonder how much was spent on the little walls and islands seperating the bikes from the road. Dont the council realise a tin of paint will do?

There is also an issue here that I am taking up with my local council in Denmark about a new cycle path. Its not a complaint, just an observation. Why do the planners like to put unnecessary little curves and bends in cycle paths? In my experience bikes like to run in straight lines. I understand curves look nice in a cycle path. But not at 5am when its pitch black.

classic33

Leg End Member
Looking at the ops original photo it makes you wonder how much was spent on the little walls and islands seperating the bikes from the road. Dont the council realise a tin of paint will do?

There is also an issue here that I am taking up with my local council in Denmark about a new cycle path. Its not a complaint, just an observation. Why do the planners like to put unnecessary little curves and bends in cycle paths? In my experience bikes like to run in straight lines. I understand curves look nice in a cycle path. But not at 5am when its pitch black.
It's called following the road, not all of which are straight.

But that's why we have steering.

classic33

Leg End Member
It would save time if the cycle path led directly to A&E.
It'd have a bit further to go i Bradford, from Little Germany!

In Leeds, the mobility scooter issue is that users may be forced off the footpaths, because of this.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
In Leeds, the mobility scooter issue is that users may be forced off the footpaths, because of this.

This is a big concern, after finding it quietly tucked away in the FAQ on the City Connect website that the CSH is for mobility scooter use as well.
I certainly don't recall any discussion about this previously and for the overwhelming majority of the route east of Leeds a mobility scooter is going to pretty much fill the cycleway, making overtaking one a near impossibility without hopping onto the footpath or back onto the road.
And we're still assuming that users of the CSH will all be heading in the same direction on the respective sides of York Rd, as there still appears to be no signage to clarify this.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well, today is the big day, Monday 17th October - they day when the inbound side of the East Leeds section is supposed to be finished.
http://cyclecityconnect.co.uk/news/a64-update-for-october/ (I'm happy to be corrected, but isn't the photo used to illustrate the article about the eastern side of the route actually near the former Stanningley fire station on the western side?)

It certainly didn't look that way when I passed this morning...and despite the claims in the article there still seems to be no cycling provision through the Shaftesbury Junction...

Pete Owens

Err no...

30 cyclists per minute isn't a huge number. Some of the busiest junctions in Cambridge (e.g. the A1307 / A603 junction) will see twice that per minute in rush hour and that is dwarfed by what some London junctions see.
I can see how this large multilane road junction:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.1...4!1stYPa0QQgDr1MJVzCtS2I-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
could easily handle 30 cycles per minute. In a way that this c***y farciltity:
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/October2015.htm
couldn't.
The number of cyclists using it isn't going to be the key issue.
Obviously not, since the claim that such numbers are going to materialise is an absurd fantasy.The key issue is that its rubbish.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Time for my weekly update:
24th October (one week after the much delayed "offical" opening of the route from Leeds- Seacroft) - still not finished!
And unsurprisingly there is still lots to do, but to keep us entertained in the meantime, I've got a few more pics of what you get for £2 million per mile.
Apologies again for the quality.

Here we have the outbound route between the Torre Rd flyover and Harehills Lane.
As you can see, the cycleway has been highlighted across the junction in green and despite road markings elsewhere on the route showing the vehicles on the road must give way to cyclists on the CSH, here we see a Give Way sign for the cyclist, who has to perform a tricky 270 degree appraisal of the traffic before proceeding. Bear in mind that any traffic turning in here is coming off a 40mph dual carriageway.
CSH YR01.JPG

Same junction, but look - the road markings for traffic exiting the office park say that they must give way to cyclists on the CSH. While this is undoubtedly for the best, it is at odds with the other side of the junction and is bound to lead to confusion, or worse. Also note how the old "non-super" cycle lane is still very much in place on the carriageway.
CSH YR02.JPG

Not a great pic next, but it does highlight a good point. Notice how the CSH is sandwiched between the footpath and the newly installed parking bay, putting the cyclist (just visible next to the red car) right in the door gap. What you can't see so well here due to the quality of the pic is the appalling quality of the workmanship here.
CSH YR03.JPG

Next pic is the CSH approaching Killingbeck Drive, the retail park where Asda is. Again, not a great pic, but you can make out the depth of fallen leaves already collected in the CSH by the way they obscure the inner kerb. This was reported last week, but remains uncleared.
Again, note the "non-super" cycle lane still in place on the carriageway.
CSH YR04.JPG

This is a good one, just past Killingbeck Cemetery at the entrance to Lyme Chase, we have this confusing mess of road markings.
Who gives way to who here? Remember any vehicles are exiting / entering a 40mph dual carriageway here.
CSH YR05.JPG

Anyway, there is a gap from the bus shelter you can see above right past the petrol station and shops right up to the traffic lights just past Burger King, where there is nothing. No CSH, in fact no cycling provision at all. No cycle lane, no shared path, just a 40mph dual carriageway that opens out to 4 lanes as it passes through the traffic lights (at the lights there is an ASL though, so that's alright). And oddly a 1990's off road cycle path that is about 50m long and leads to a toucan crossing, where after crossing two sets of lights you can join the restarted CSH.

And finally, you might remember that I've mentioned the dangerous junction of the A64 (Barwick Rd) and York Rd at Seacroft?
CSH YR06.JPG

The good news is that they've finally painted it green and although the white lines have yet to go in, you can see (just) where they have chalked in where they are about to put in Give Way markings for cyclists. This is probably wise - it goes against most of the other priorities nearby, but would you really cycle straight over this junction and assume that a car driver coming off the 40mph dual carriageway would give way to you? I certainly wouldn't.
The faux-by-four is in the standard position here for traffic waiting to pull onto the main road, which will inevitably lead to conflict with any cyclists.

Clearly there is still a lot of work to do, but I can't see how they're going to salvage this now. Parts of it are excellent, but there is so much that is just wrong that it undoes any positives.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Update: 16th November - still not finished...and certain bits which are now sorted are shocking. The shared space footway (painted white line) from Lyme Chase up to the BP filling station being the latest example, especially how it crosses the petrol station access road and dumps cyclists back in the live carriageway with just a bit of paint on the dual carriageway to protect them :eek:

But I've noticed that York Road is being resurfaced all the way from Highways flats (just below the Asda at Killingbeck) right up to the Shaftesbury junction. I wonder if the cost of this much needed highways maintenance is being included in the CSH costs?
It might go some way to explaining the £29m (or £1m/km) cost of the scheme if it is?

classic33

Leg End Member
Update: 16th November - still not finished...and certain bits which are now sorted are shocking. The shared space footway (painted white line) from Lyme Chase up to the BP filling station being the latest example, especially how it crosses the petrol station access road and dumps cyclists back in the live carriageway with just a bit of paint on the dual carriageway to protect them :eek:

But I've noticed that York Road is being resurfaced all the way from Highways flats (just below the Asda at Killingbeck) right up to the Shaftesbury junction. I wonder if the cost of this much needed highways maintenance is being included in the CSH costs?
It might go some way to explaining the £29m (or £1m/km) cost of the scheme if it is?
Seen a few nervous riders on the York Road section. Drivers just ignoring it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It always amazes me how many motorists seem to think their cars sweep the roads and Roadsweepers don't exist or are cosmetic ornaments or something. One reason why a cycle track should never be narrower than a Roadsweeper, never make a zero radius corner and never have unopenable access restrictions on both ends is that maintenance vehicles need to get onto it, else it probably won't be cleaned properly, won't have vegetation cut properly and won't be repaired properly because they'll have to do it all without vehicles and large machinery, which is more difficult and more expensive. It's scandalous that most councils still don't seem to accept this.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well, it's only been "finished" for a few months and already the CSH is closed both ways at Killingbeck.

Inbound it's been closed for weeks as part of council highways 'improvements' which seem to consist of a new access road into the hospital site (presumably for the new housing development) and now on the outbound side as well where the bus lane is also closed and the kerb stones have been removed.

So, just as the weather starts to improve and user numbers will pick up, cyclists are being pushed back onto the dual carriageway...

Top Bottom