Bradley is so going to Sky...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

He'l be going to Sky, he doesn't really have a choice on the matter if he wants to gain a podium at the tour next year.
It's looking hopeful :thumbsup:

yello

darkstar said:
He'l be going to Sky, he doesn't really have a choice on the matter if he wants to gain a podium at the tour next year.

Not quite sure I'd agree with that. My gut feel is that a move to Sky wouldn't help his cause... not for 2010 anyway.

I really can't see BW at Sky. For one, I just can't see Garmin letting him go without them having a replacement already lined up. Everyone assumes Contador for that but his future is far from settled. Also, if BW were to leave Sky i reckon it would be for a stronger team than Sky... again, gut feel.

So unless Sky are stumping a really attractive wedge of cash then I don't see it... but I'll get my hat ready :thumbsup:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think he has intimated that he'd like to go to Sky and money talks, as they say, but I agree with Yello that it may not be the best move in terms of Grand Tours.

Skip Madness

I see Wiggins as having no chance at next year's Tour (top ten at best), although from the known squads at the moment he'd be better off staying at Garmin than moving to Sky.

I was pleased to see Carlos Sastre saying that he may well focus on the Giro-Vuelta double next year now that he has already won the Tour. I reckon Wiggins and Cadel Evans should think about something similar - neither will win the Tour with Alberto Contador and Andy Schleck set to dominate, so they should look at getting a Grand Tour full-stop. The final week of next year's Giro will probably be too steep for Wiggins, but the Vuelta route will be announced in December and may be more fruitful. If I were Wiggins I'd stay with Garmin and focus on either/both of the Giro and Vuelta.

Keith Oates

Janner
That makes sense to me SM, Wiggins should think about Sky after it has year under it's belt as a team. He also has to show that this year was not a one off wonder show as we've seen with other riders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rassendyll

But that's his dilemma isn't it.

If he waits a year then he runs the risk that Sky starts to build a team around someone else, and maybe he can't just walk in and expect them to support him, even he has another good year with Garmin.

Plus if he has a year that isn't as good then it lowers the chances of Sky coming in for him, lowers his contract value and means even if he does join the team he may be in a Cadel Evans - Lotto sort of scenario. Especially if they brought in someone like Cavendish.

It's not like Brailsford doesn't know how to organise a cycling team is it. And there are people within the organisation who have pro management and Tour management experience like Scott Sutherland. I'd be surprised if their organisation is anything less than exceptional.

yello

Rassendyll said:
I'd be surprised if their organisation is anything less than exceptional.

You're right. They've shown their attention to detail is 2nd to none on the track. No reason really not to expect that to transfer to running a road team. And it's not as if, rider for rider, Sky are that much weaker than many other teams.

So I really don't know why I'm not convinced. I guess it's because it IS a new outfit. So I expect there to be an amount of learning to do and a degree of inexperience that will impact on results in the 1st year.

Skip Madness

I just think if he wants more money he should go to Sky. Otherwise there's not much to choose between the two squads at the moment, with Garmin being more capable of supporting a GC rider.

He needs to be realistic. This year's Tour - although not overly favourable to time-triallists - was one of the lightest on mountains that you will get, and he was still never going to win it. Next year's Tour is pretty much impossible for him to win. Moving to Sky won't suddenly change that (unless they have some magic juice...) so why not stay with a team that we already know can support him, race the Giro/Vuelta and try to become the first British winner of a grand tour.

Besides the money, I can't see what Sky can give him that Garmin can't - so if he wants to secure a healthier retirement, sure go to Sky. But on a sporting level there's not much to gain.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't think the Giro is winnable for BW but the Vuelta is too low profile these days especially with the great British public but also with the riders who give it scant respect these days. He'll want to concentrate on the TdF whoever he rides for.

After confessing to earning very little from his Olympic exploits, in Athens at least, who can blame him for maybe putting a big payday with a team he trusts above a Garmin team which may or may not be better equipped to aid him.

Skip Madness

rich p said:
I don't think the Giro is winnable for BW
Not next year's, no, but in general he'll have a better chance there than at the Tour. The route varies and if he gets another one like 2009, 2005 or 2004 he'll have a chance.
the Vuelta is too low profile these days especially with the great British public but also with the riders who give it scant respect these days. He'll want to concentrate on the TdF whoever he rides for.
The Vuelta's certainly not as high-profile as the other two, but most years it still has a decent field. Evans and Sastre usually ride it, and it's not inconceivable next year that Contador will turn up as well as Valverde (depending on what happens there) Sánchez, Gesink, Basso, Mosquera etc.

Ultimately I can't see the point in being remembered by the casual follower as the guy who finished in the top ten at the Tour a few times when he could be remembered by the dedicated follower as a major race winner if he aims for it. It's not like the survival of the sport in Britain is reliant on Wiggins being at the Tour. If I were him I'd wait until I've had a very good like at each GT parcours before I made my choice.

lukesdad

Could have a problem with Vande Velde at garmin he wasnt 100% last year but still had glimpses of what he can do in the Tdf. I d go to sky as out and out team leader.

Dave5N

Über Member
Brailsford said at the outset: five years.

Nobody at Team Sky is looking at next year's tours as anything other than learning and training. Or the year after.

Remember the Track Programme - 8 years before serious consistent results?

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I agree and I don't see Bradley as someone who win the Tour. I do see him as a well-liked and determined team-leader around which a team can coalesce and from which a real contender can learn and eventually emerge.

Dave5N

Über Member
Yeah.

Back in the day we thought Craig McLean was where we were at. Now look at the strength and depth of people quick over four laps or less.

ANd no disrespect to Craig he was and is fantastic and will emerge again as the star he is in the 2012 paralympics.

But aside from Brad and Mark and co. there is a field of talent waiting to breakthrough. Forget Peter Kennaugh. Watch his brother.

etc

Top Bottom