Bradley Wiggins calls for safer cycling laws and compulsory helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACW

i can see certain elements in the government thinking about how much money could be made from fines for not wearing a helmet

I didn't know it discourages cycling, but if people are willing to put style over safety(which I presume may be the reason) then maybe they shouldn't cycle.

I see causing a false sense of security as a bad point, but I do think that more information about cycling safety needs to be spread to masses.

Sigh. How long have you been on here and learnt nothing? The overwhelming evidence from countries that have made helmets mandatory is that there is no effect on safety but there is a big impact on the numbers cycling, especially teenagers. Even helmet promotion has been shown to decrease cycling. So your whole premise is wrong and the information you are spreading is misinformation.

aJohnson

Sigh. How long have you been on here and learnt nothing? The overwhelming evidence from countries that have made helmets mandatory is that there is no effect on safety but there is a big impact on the numbers cycling, especially teenagers. Even helmet promotion has been shown to decrease cycling. So your whole premise is wrong and the information you are spreading is misinformation.

I'm sorry and I apologies for my ignorance then. I were just saying what I think, I didn't try to spread it as fact.

I don't think the CTC's campaigns people will appreciate BW's comments. As stated above, he's a high profile figure at the moment, and anything he says will have exaggerated meaning, particularly in government circles. This months CYCLE magazine had an interesting article in regard of recently published research by a Prof Piet de Jong, which seems to indicate that compulsory helmet wearing has the effect of decreasing cycling by up to 30% in those countries that have adopted it, and therefore there is an overall negative impact on popluation health.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The media may have reported it this morning, but they will have gone onto a different story by lunchtime. Having said that there is a lively debate on Twitter about the whole subject which makes this thread look very tame.

As for hi-viz jackets, there is an argument that making compulsory would offer more protection for cyclists than helmets, for the reasons Jonesy alludes to.

It's still the 3rd most read story on the BBC.

Thought it was somewhat more interesting that tagged onto the end of the article that Colin Moynihan decided to comment on the helmet matter. That's potentially more of a problem than what Wiggo says. A lot more.

Have you ever considered how your son would feel if you were killed in a cycling accident? I wear a helmet because I wouldn't want my family living with the thought that, "If only she'd worn a helmet, she might still be with us."

You could say exactly the same about people who get killed in car accidents or as pedestrians and its much more likely that one of those two will kill you than cycling. So have you ever considered how your son would feel if you were killed in a car or pedestrian accident? I am sure you wear a helmet all the time because you wouldn't want your family living with the thought that, "If only she's worn a helmet, she might still be with us"

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A spokesman for the Department of Transport issued this statement:
"We take the issue of cycle safety extremely seriously and are working to reduce the instances of deaths and serious injuries of cyclists on our roads. We encourage cyclists – especially children – to wear helmets to protect them if they have a crash. However, we believe this should remain a matter of individual choice rather than imposing additional rules which would be difficult to enforce. We also want to see more innovative measures being put in place to improve cycle safety. That is why we have made it easier for councils to install Trixi mirrors to make cyclists more visible to drivers as well as announcing an additional £30 million for better cycle routes and facilties. We have also committed £11 million per year for Bikeability training to help a new generation of cyclists gain the skills and knowledge they need to cycle on the roads.”
Comes fro an impeccable Tory source too.

lulubel

Über Member
You could say exactly the same about people who get killed in car accidents or as pedestrians and its much more likely that one of those two will kill you than cycling. So have you ever considered how your son would feel if you were killed in a car or pedestrian accident? I am sure you wear a helmet all the time because you wouldn't want your family living with the thought that, "If only she's worn a helmet, she might still be with us"

BB's reponse to my question was sensible and well reasoned, and I totally understand his position. These comments are ridiculous. There isn't an approved safety helmet for car drivers/passengers or pedestrians to wear that's perceived to improve safety so, while I can imagine my parents thinking, "If only she hadn't chosen that moment to cross the road" (for example), if I was killed as a pedestrian, I'm not concerned that they'd distress themselves over my lack of personal protective equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom