Bradley Wiggins calls for safer cycling laws and compulsory helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Linford

Where do you get your energy from? I appreciate it is not overly taxing mentally but all this typing you do. Respect!

After 1,426 responses, can we shut this one down yet so we can go for a ride? :addict:

Can't I text and ride?

ipad2-470x341.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Those extra cyclists you keep banging on about [...loads of irrelevant shite about cars...]

I don't believe that having to stick a bit of polystyrene on their heads to participate in cycling will have a long term negative effect apart from with women who don't like messing their hair up by putting one one.
I've always considered that if compulsion came to pass, that people would eventually just suck it up - just as motorcyclists have done - helmet wearing has certainly saved a lot of lives in this group of road users, and this is at the core of my belief on this subject.

We don't care what you believe. Everything you've said on the subject is drivel. Do you like cycling, Linford?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
you consider a helmet "a lot of safety equipment"?

No, but if that's the most trenchant criticism of my post you can muster then I must be on the right track. It is one significant piece of "safety" equipment. Bear in mind that lots of people feel they ought to wear hi-vis as well. At about £60 for a lid that doesn't make the wearer look like they aren't usually allowed out unsupervised, that's a significant outlay for someone buying an entry-level bike at about £300.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I think we are getting to the heart of Linf here, it's the perceived unfairness that motorcyclists have more regulation than cyclists.

Ahem. Some ten thousand pages ago...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
So what is the difference between the groups of cyclist and motorcyclists apart from the fact that motorcyclists in 1973 were already bound by the conditions of both their driving license and vehicle license (as well as insurance).

Cycling in the UK is particularly well indulged by the law makers with very few conditions attached to enjoy the use of one.

You give the impression that any and all increases in cycling are a move in the right direction irrespective of whatever that brings with it - be that good or bad overall to the cyclists or to those around them.

As I said, you disapprove of cycling. That's your call, in a demented sort of way. Just don't expect it to endear you to anyone on a cycling forum.

After 1,426 responses, can we shut this one down yet so we can go for a ride? :addict:

You mean you haven't been popping out for rides while its been running. Just went out and slipped in a quick and gloriously sunny 25 miler between posts #1315 and #1378

david k

Hi
No, but if that's the most trenchant criticism of my post you can muster then I must be on the right track.

Im not sure what your 'track' is but im happy to allow you to consider your on tthe right one

It is one significant piece of "safety" equipment. .

Some believe it is not significant, hence the difference of opinion

Bear in mind that lots of people feel they ought to wear hi-vis as well. .

I havnt heard this one, ill have to take your word for it

At about £60 for a lid that doesn't make the wearer look like they aren't usually allowed out unsupervised, that's a significant outlay for someone buying an entry-level bike at about £300.

Im dont think judging the looks of a helmet only is the correct reason to base your selection of the 'significant safety equipment' (as you call it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom