Brake adjustment fail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NoTWHaTiTWaSNT

Hi Guys,
My brake pads (Tektro Draco) were pinching slightly and so I tried adjusting them using this video as a reference.

How to adjust disc brakes - YouTube

Following the method used in the video did not work for me and then I made a big mistake by removing the brakes pads and pumping the brake handle which pushed one of the Pistons out and oil came leaking out.

I pushed the Piston back in but now the break pads are pinching on the Rotor more than before - The wheel no longer turns freely - There is also no pressure when I pull the break lever.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do / point me to a thread or video so I can remedy this problem.

Thanks in advance

PS I'm dyslexic, so if I don't get it aND!! Its really obvious, that's why

PPS Can I add a "Signature" ? Cant find that option ...

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
from having rebuilt a few MOTORCYCLE hydraulic brakes of both the hub and disc type i would be guessing you need to bleed brake system? if this is so then you need to put an ice cream tub or similar under the shoes end of the hose and then just pump the lever whilst always making sure there is enough brake fluid in the reservoir, oh and don't spill the brake fluid ANYWHERE as it is awful for your health to get it on the skin and it is a very good paint stripper

as said before this is a guess and may not even be your solution!
Cheers Ed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
bleed the brakes and ensure there is no air in the system when you refill through the reservoirs.

Signature: on a computer, see the side bar options on the My Account page. On a mobile device, click on your user name at the top of the page, either way, there will be a Signature option where you can add/edit.

lpretro1

Bleed instructions & video here:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhKKe6av-0U

Please note it is not like 'yongd Ed describes. You will need the correct kit and fluid. Do check but I think they use mineral oild which is nowhere near as awful on paintwork as the DOT fluid 'young Ed' describes. Both types of fluid are an oil and you need to be very careful not to get it all over the place and contaminate pads and rotor. Use isopropyl alcohol to clean everything down including the rotor. If you haven't done this already and have simply popped the pads back in then you may well have brake fluid on them and then they won't work
However, if you made the basic mistake you did in the first place - taking pads out and pumping the lever, then perhaps you'd be best getting your lbs to do it for you on this occasion as you seem to lack the basic knowledge on how the brake works (no offence intended)

OP
OP
NoTWHaTiTWaSNT

NoTWHaTiTWaSNT

as you seem to lack the basic knowledge on how the brake works (no offence intended)

None taken :smile:

LBS not an option due to lack of ££ a lot more expensive than in London here.

I'll get it done, this is the first time I've adjusted this type of brake and it looked straight forward enough on the video, while on the topic of the brake pads pinching the rotor, can anyone offer any advice on that as the problem will still need to be resolved once the "Bleeding" problem is resolved ^_^

I did the "Conventional" brakes on my brother in laws bike no problem

Thanks again

OP
OP
NoTWHaTiTWaSNT

NoTWHaTiTWaSNT

Hi Guys,
Thanks to everyone for replying, I didn't have an email alert set up so did not know that the thread has been replied to

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
My girlfriends MTB suffered with this problem and they were Tektro hydraulic calipers. I cleaned them and pushed the pistons back in slightly but they still rubbed slightly after a few pulls on the brake lever. I suspect this is just the way they are but hopefully I'm wrong and there is a cure. I just don't know what it is I'm afraid!

OP
OP
NoTWHaTiTWaSNT

NoTWHaTiTWaSNT

My girlfriends MTB suffered with this problem and they were Tektro hydraulic calipers. I cleaned them and pushed the pistons back in slightly but they still rubbed slightly after a few pulls on the brake lever. I suspect this is just the way they are but hopefully I'm wrong and there is a cure. I just don't know what it is I'm afraid!

You're not the only one Mr BB, no one else has been able to enlighten me as how to fix this problem, SiGH!!

Top Bottom