Brake Arms Spring Back - Lack Of

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ak88

Not sure if the subject sounds right but anyway - the issue is that on pressing the brakes, the feel is a bit 'soggy' and when you look at the brake arms, the springing back away from the rim is damped and slow.

Can this be fixed? Do I need to take it out and give it a good clean? Or is it time for new brakes?

domtyler

Über Member
Strip down and get rid of all the gunk that has built up, regrease all parts and reassemble.

andygates

+1 on the grotty cable runs and filthy brake. Broken springs happen, but they're rare.

If the spring is genuinely soggy, you can bend it into a tighter shape using brute force, then reassemble.

OP
OP
A

ak88

Thanks all - looks like I need to overhaul the arms - is there any substitute or is it safe to put the arms back on without any thread lock. Don't think I have time to get any today.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
andygates said:
Broken springs happen, but they're rare.
My second broken spring in 3 months today - at least I now have new brake sets on front and back now. (Not that I'm disagreeing with the other suggestions, just saying check the spring to exclude it as the problem).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you bought new cables and outer cables ? - They could be too tight if single pivots - you don't say if single or dual pivot ?

Easily adjusted and you don't need thread lock !

OP
OP
A

ak88

Gave the brakes a complete strip and clean. Undid the lot, dropped the bits in a tub of Viro-sol mixed with a bit of water (its fantastic strong degreaser, cheap and smells orangey!). Got rid of all the gunk, bent the springs a bit more, greased and lubed the bits and assembled back. Checked the cable outers - looks ok but sprayed some GT85 and also lubed with a few drops of oil. Couldn't really do much as the cable was widened on the bolt on bit. Brakes work a lot better now.........still needs some adjusting and it squeaks VERY loudly at the front even with minor toeing.

Thinking if the squeal continues (and it only happens on the front) - then I need to find some kool stops or take the bite and get some Swiss Stops.

Top Bottom