Brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
They look too long for a 105 caliper, they look like brake shoes for V brakes

Brake shoes for road callipers look like this.

Ajax Bay

Guru
They look too long for a 105 caliper, they look like brake shoes for V brakes
Recalibrate your perspective, in the nicest possible way (this is not a recommendation for these pads - like @Ian H I'm on Koolstop Salmons).
Clarks 55mm Replacement Pads
Specification:
• CPS240 55mm Road caliper brake spare pad
• Suitable for Shimano, Avid & Tektro systems Lightweight design
• Multi compound pad for all weather conditions
• Unique design reduces noise and increases braking performance

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Right I've now put them with the arrow going with the wheel rotation. Gave it a try up the road seems a bit better, but will go for a ride tomorrow and see what happens.

Looks like the calliper is on the right way as the little retaining screw for the pad is at the back and comparing to Merlin cycles they are the right way round (grey, red and black at back)

https://www.merlincycles.com/clarks-cps240-55mm-road-caliper-brake-shoe-spare-pad-59623.html

What does stand out though is the massive gap so will have a big lever pull and hard to tell but possibly toe out rather than toe in so not sitting flush with the rim when braking.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Looks like the calliper is on the right way as the little retaining screw for the pad is at the back and comparing to Merlin cycles they are the right way round (grey, red and black at back)

https://www.merlincycles.com/clarks-cps240-55mm-road-caliper-brake-shoe-spare-pad-59623.html

What does stand out though is the massive gap so will have a big lever pull and hard to tell but possibly toe out rather than toe in so not sitting flush with the rim when braking.

That's some great evidence there thank you. I need to swap them all around again then.

I might just buy some new ones and go from there.

Just looking at the picture of the pad. It looks like the rim is only coming into contact with half the pad. The top of the pad looks like new but the bottom half looks used if you see what I mean.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Just looking at the picture of the pad. It looks like the rim is only coming into contact with half the pad. The top of the pad looks like new but the bottom half looks used if you see what I mean.

Yes I see what your saying. I will have another play tomorrow and see what I can sort out.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The closed end of the brake pad shoe should be facing the front. That ensures that when you brake the pad is prevented from being pulled out. If you have the shoes on the wrong way the pads will likely be pulled (by the friction from the rim) out. If heading downhill or approaching a T junction, this will be surprising to the point of shock (or worse).
The pads are shaped (as well as there being an arrow on them) so it's 'obvious' which way in they go. And the little screw has to line up with a groove in the back of the pad.
You can see both these features in the image @Gunk posted (top of this page).
Also note need for toe in.

Last edited:
Hi, recently had a new set of brake blocks fitted to my road bike. What's the best was to bed these in as the rear brake is pretty much non existent?

Have you tried the longer blocks? There are blocks available that you only change the rubber. There is a black and brown set that i find work quite well in the wet.

Top Bottom