Brake cable talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I'd inherited the house from my father about 10 years previously, and I decided that I was willing to live off peanuts.

I’d consider doing the same TBH.
Stay free.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd inherited the house from my father about 10 years previously, and I decided that I was willing to live off peanuts.

Fair enough, I prefer to work and not worry about money (I'd also be bored silly otherwise and I quite like the engagement with colleagues etc) :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Daily calorie intake, since 2003 when I got a HRM with a calorie counter that piqued my interest.
Lurching off topic, how does an HRM (which one, though assume you've had several) manage to "count calorie expenditure"?
I assume you record food and drink intake to determine calorie ingestion.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn’t be bored, I’d work part time and cycle lots. It’s a life many can only dream of.

Except he said he retired so presumably no work, not part time. I will admit I enjoyed my 4 day weeks, I chose when to be off based on the weather forecast, I wasn’t restricted to a specific day. I tended to take 2 afternoons, work morning, less stressful not having to hand over for a whole day too!

presta

Guru
Fair enough, I prefer to work and not worry about money (I'd also be bored silly otherwise and I quite like the engagement with colleagues etc) :smile:
I loved my job, and lived for it, I've been known to work until 1am, and to not take my holiday allowance on occasions, but all that changed when the 1990 recession brought redundancies. I stuck it out for another 6 years or so, by which time I was on the verge of, or having, a breakdown, so I decided enough was enough and walked away from it all. I missed the job I once had, but that had already gone by then anyway, so I have no regrets.

By the time I went, I'd been saving ~70% of my net salary for years in anticipation of redundancy, so I'd grown my savings quite nicely, and also got quite used to living off very little. It helps being single of course, with nobody else to please. I did wonder whether the credit crunch may have been my undoing, but I weathered it ok as it turned out. I think the current levels of inflation have come too late to be a problem.

My father retired a year early already terminally ill, and died 4 months later. It could have been the same for me, I'm still not quite retiring age and it's not looking optimistic that I'll get there either, so I could have missed out on all the walking and cycling I did that I wouldn't otherwise have had time for. I did manage to outlive my father last Jan 7th though.
Lurching off topic, how does an HRM (which one, though assume you've had several) manage to "count calorie expenditure"?
I assume you record food and drink intake to determine calorie ingestion.
The rate at which you burn calories is a function of your heart rate, (and weight, which you enter into the monitor), it's an estimate subject to variations between individuals of course, but I've found it compares well with the average I can calculate from monitoring my weight and diet. I have two Polar HRMs, an M52 and an FT4. I bought the second because the M52 looked faulty, although it turned out the fault was with my heart (the monitors have always compared well against paramedics' ECGs)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I normally replace all the cables on my bike when one needs doing, because if you're going to have to start messing around and swearing for one cable you may as well do four.

I typically replace a cable (brake or gear) if the end cap comes off and it starts unravelling or if it starts fraying at the pinch bolt. I also do this every now and then, but less often than once a year because it's a job I don't particularly enjoy.

I had a gear cable nipple shear off inside a shifter recently. Well beyond my ability to sort out but my LBS managed to remove the remains somehow and re-cable it. Now, I know that's not a brake cable but anyway ... it's a reminder that cables and nipples don't last for ever.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have some sympathy. I keep anal MPG and fuel cost records on a spreadsheet. I record the mileage of every car journey and the price of fuel, and every Sunday feed the computer and the spreadsheet works out the cost of every single journey.

I don't know why, I don't need them, I never look back at them, I just do it and have been doing somfor years.

Years ago I used to write the mileage and amount of fuel in a little notebook when I filled up my car. I have no idea why I did this because I never looked at it. Then the pen went missing and I missed a few, and miraculously was freed of the habit.

Top Bottom