Brake lever adjustment help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

Switching to a road bike has resulted in me finding out I have no idea how to do basic things on it!

One of my brake levers has decided to "retreat" into the hoods. It still works, just starts in the wrong place making for extra finger movement.. How do I make it come out of hiding? Pictures:

WRONG:

brake_wrong.jpg

RIGHT:

brake_ok.jpg

I'm no expert but that looks like a campy hood. Has something happenened to the quick realease on the far side of the right hood. It should be out, stopping the lever retreating in.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

I'm no expert but that looks like a campy hood. Has something happenened to the quick realease on the far side of the right hood.

I'm not entirely sure what that means! I've poked it about but can't see anything that looks in any way adjustable.

redjedi

Über Member
It looks as if the quick release pin has been pushed through.

The pin, just above the pivot, should be sticking out on the inside. Squeeze the lever and push the pin back onto the inside. It should now be back to normal.

If you look at the brakes from the front you should see the difference.

This is a QR for the brakes. It lets you release the brakes easily, and safely as they still work if you forget to put ti back. If you release them on the brake itself, they stop working.

colinr said:
I'm not entirely sure what that means! I've poked it about but can't see anything that looks in any way adjustable.
There's a pin that goes through the hoods I think we can see it in your pics. The pin should be pushed in to release the brakes for changing the wheel allowing the lever to retreat into the hood and out normally. This catches the hood and stops the lever retreating into the housing. If it like my bike the easiest way is to pull the brake slightly untin the pin can easily be moved.

You can see them in this photo just above the pivot pin for the lever.

SL307B20.jpg
1339.gif

Top Bottom