Brake Pads???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marooncat

I know this is a bit like asking how long a piece of string is but...

Can anyone give a rough "finger in the air" guide to how long brake pads should last for. I have done about 375 miles on my bike since new and mine seem be getting near to needing replaced.

I do not do that much "hard" braking but do have to use them all the way down the hill into my housing estate. Also i am not the lightest person in the world which must add to their wear.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
as you've suggested, it's all down to the type of riding you do. most blocks have some sort of wear indicator. i usually change when the cable can't be tightened any further to compensate for the block erosion.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I get a helluva lot more than that - well over 1,000 miles, probably more like 2,000. But that 'not the lightest all the way down the hill' probably really takes it out of them....they probably get warm, hence softer, hence wear more...

Probably it partly depends on which ones you use. I swear by Aztec; a consensus seems to think kool stop are the best. Either way, they're not cheap...but I guess you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
M

marooncat

The ones on my bike at the moment are the ones that were fitted when it came new so i suspect won't have been anything fancy.

When you talk about "tightening the cable" do you mean by actually pulling the cable at the brake pads or just twisting the wee nut at the leaver end??

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
marooncat said:
The ones on my bike at the moment are the ones that were fitted when it came new so i suspect won't have been anything fancy.

When you talk about "tightening the cable" do you mean by actually pulling the cable at the brake pads or just twisting the wee nut at the leaver end??

Id assume turning the nut thing at the brake (or lever). I generally replace mine when they look smooth (ie you can no longer see the grooves in them) but they do seem to last for ages, guess cos most of my commute is long roads with no braking

jay clock

Massive member
On a brand new road bike I managed to shred a set down by 80% on a wet gritty 90km day. The ones as standard combined with new wheels always seem to go fast

Top Bottom