Brake quick release problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
OP please take minimal notice of Ajax Bay. It does make the job easier and I do possess one :smile::

I’ve looked for that tool on Amazon but can’t find it?
It is available on Amazon which is where I got the image from. If you are not used to the dexerity involved in caliper brake adjustment it is useful although I use mine mainly for fixing the cable on BMX rear scissor brake where it's invaluable.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've had one of those third hand tools for years I found it a pain in the arse to use, personally.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Make sure brake QR in closed position. With one hand, hold brake caliper either side of wheel. Undo cable clamp bolt with other hand and let the caliper spring out a little pulling the cable through a small amount. Tighten bolt back up again. It’s easy to see where cable was originally clamped as it’ll be flat and clean. Redo if it’s not enough.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Or you could wrap some tape around them, toe strap, string etc.
Large cable tie will do the job
I did buy myself a third hand tool earlier in the year, as I had never used one before.
I will carry on with the ball of twine that I have used for donkeys years.:whistle:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have one of those tools and it does come in handy occasionally.
You're right: too sweeping. Some people must have one of those 'tools'. Are there particular circumstances you find it (third) handy?
My blinkered view of this finds it difficult to reach out beyond the Merciless Recumbent One's simple technique (two hands required).

Last edited:
OP: Please take minimal notice of @Cycleops - he likes to produce images noone else has found at Christmas - I bet he doesn't use one, if he possesses one, even. And good luck finding an LBS who has such a tool. Though by asking you may raise their spirits and festive cheer.
Everyone reclamps the cable bolt 'all by themselves', without one.

I've got them for sale in my bike shop. Although no-one has actually bought one!

alicat

Legendary Member
You're right: too sweeping. Some people must have one of those 'tools'. Are there particular circumstances you find it (third) handy?

To be fair, it is a while since I used it. I think it was more use when I was young and green and had retro sidepull brakes or they might have been centrepulls.

Top Bottom