Brake shoe tuner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone use one of these?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...Y-dGh3wIVRLDtCh1LdgPzEAAYASAAEgLhTfD_BwE&mx=a

I usually use a bit of card at the back of each shoe to sort toe-in but this promises to be easier, and to stop the shoe twisting you often get as you tighten up. And to sort the lining up. i tend to have to do a fair amount of fiddling to check that none of either pad is leaving the rim at any point. Last set of pads I took off had the tell tale rim from less than perfect lining up.

Yes I know it's just a bit of plastic but if it speeds pad replacement for the rest of my life it will be wirth it.

I like the colour.
The price is another matter entirely - 16 spuds for a bit of plastic? You'd have to do a hell of a lot of brakes to make that worthwhile.
I think I'd just keep fiddling!

OP
OP
Blue Hills
It's a fair bit less from Rose Bikes, as most things are.

Main reason I am considering is because I use V brakes with cartridges on three bikes and will soon be building another. But re my other thread in getting the ****ing pins into the cartridges have taken to doing it with the cartridges taken off the bike, so the brakes need resetting every time. Am hoping to change a fiddly job to something I can be done with in 5 minutes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I find if I wind the brake adjuster in, then I can just hold the front of the pads against the rim while tightening the bolts. Still have to readjust them a couple of times as the pads wear to avoid it starting to drop below the rim and form that submarining line. A pad holder doodah would have to be seriously cheap to make sense to me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Once you've got the technique right I doubt that will make it any easier... Just grip the brake tightly holding the pad against the rim with or without a cardboard shim, loosen the mounting bolt, wiggle the pad to set it right, gently nip up the bolt then release the lever and use that hand to stop the pad rotating while you tighten the bolt.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I find if I wind the brake adjuster in, then I can just hold the front of the pads against the rim while tightening the bolts. Still have to readjust them a couple of times as the pads wear to avoid it starting to drop below the rim and form that submarining line. A pad holder doodah would have to be seriously cheap to make sense to me.
My usual system is to wind the bar adjuster all the way in, then wind out two or thee turns. Ram pads hard up against the rim, screw all up (but this is sometimes when the pad turns ever so slightly) and then back the pads off by winding the lever adjuster back in.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
That's true if you can bundle it with other purchases, otherwise it's nearly £9 p&p!
Yes I know.

But I have no great trouble hitting the free postage mark (about £88 at the mo?) as they sell such a wide range of sensible stuff (I'm going no further than 9 speed) , and lots of stuff that others don't stock. No great problem to bump up with consumables like chains, chainrings etc etc. I also have a nice discount code to use up by late January (after another discount code a few weeks ago for the birthday).

I'd encourage folk to sign up with them and give a birthday - the birthday gift will cover the postal charge if one is put on the bill.

Their courier service is also excellent.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Yes I know.

But I have no great trouble hitting the free postage mark (about £88 at the mo?) as they sell such a wide range of sensible stuff (I'm going no further than 9 speed) , and lots of stuff that others don't stock. No great problem to bump up with consumables like chains, chainrings etc etc. I also have a nice discount code to use up by late January (after another discount code a few weeks ago for the birthday).

I'd encourage folk to sign up with them and give a birthday - the birthday gift will cover the postal charge if one is put on the bill.

Their courier service is also excellent.
I've never ordered from Rose, think I'll sign up as you suggest and give them a go at some time!

OP
OP
Blue Hills
:smile:
I actually gave them my real birthday, which is rare for me online with anything not official.
Their site now has a wish list to help you save things up.
They have also sorted the packing delay which used to be caused by currency conversions and made using discount vouchers really clunky. Once packed, courier takes a pretty reliable 3 days and they keep you well informed. Lots of sensible stuff, not just bling.

Top Bottom