Brake shoe tuner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
The Tacx thing is neat and works (the Icetools one is rubbish) and we use one in the shop for speed - it gives the blocks the necessary toe-in to avoid squealing and lines them up accurately with the braking surface.

However looping a very thick elastic band around the trailing edge of the blocks also lets you set the toe-in.

Rob

PS- the one at the shop was there when I got there, the one I have home was from Rose for about Euro5 with another larger order some years ago.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Many thanks for the frontline review rob - the Tacx one will go on my order list for January with Rose. I wasn't entirely convinced by the look of the Icetools one.

The Taxc thing should save me from my usual routine of turning the bike upside down, back again, maybe again, to check that the pads are lined up properly with the rim top and bottom after all the tightening. I get through a fair lot of V brake pads - quite thin and I'm standardising lots of stuff on my bikes.

subaqua

What’s the point
Self locking pliers, or acwoodworking cramp on the levers . Leaves both hands free and more money to spend on cake /beer/whatever ....

robgul

Legendary Member
Self locking pliers, or acwoodworking cramp on the levers . Leaves both hands free and more money to spend on cake /beer/whatever ....

In the same vein Park used to do a specific tool https://www.parktool.com/product/adjustable-third-hand-brake-tool-bt-5 - BUT the beauty of the Tacx gadget is that it gives you the correct toe-in for the pads (stopping that squealing noise - with lots of compounds - if the brake blocks aren't installed correctly)

Being a bit of a "gadget man" I have one of the Park clamp tools but seldom use it - I can see why it was discontinued - but it is a quality piece of kit like all Park Tool stuff!

Rob

Top Bottom