Brake sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparty69

I'm not the most technically minded, but having read some stuff on here and elsewhere am I right in assuming that the measurements used when sizing brake calipers (ie the reach), is measured from the bolt that holds the caliper to the frame, to the braking surface?. The reason I ask is this.. I bought my son a road bike for xmas, he's only 10 but had expressed an interest, so, keen to encourage him, I bought him an old kids drop handled bike off ebay. It's an old emmelle, 5 speed, thing. It's never been used and is spotless. It had sat in a warehouse for the past 20 years!! I did this because buying a modern day kids drop handled bike costs the earth and I didn't want to spend a fortune in case his enthusiasm is short lived. I'm now trying to upgrade certain bits of the bike to improve it. The brakes are a bit stiff and a bit of a reach for him. I've found some Tektro reach adjustable levers on ebay that I'm bidding on but I also want to replace the calipers to make it easier for him and hopefully instill a bit more confidence in him. Having measured the distance between the fixing bolt and the braking surface I'm coming up with a measurement of 70mm!!. Does this seem right?, if so, can I get any modern day calipers with that kind of reach?. Any assistance or advice greatly appreciated.

tyred

Legendary Member
Modern brake levers and cables are probably all the upgrade you need as they are more efficient design and therefore require less effort to pull. The leverage of the calipers will be the same. I know old single pivots can be a right PITA if they don't centre properly but this is easily adjusted out in practice.

Just a thought but if the bike has chrome rims, the brakes will be poor regardless of what you do.

Is this the bike? Lovely little thing, rode by a young boy on a VCC ride last year.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If your son's brake has a reach of 70mm, given it is 20 years old, are the original centre-pull brakes (with/requiring hangers)? You might want to have a quick read of this to start off with.

There are side-pull brakes with 70mm reach (for bmx, e.g. here), but I don't think they are better than good centre-pulls, such as these. A good set of centre-pull with decent pads are perfectly adequate brakes - they were what heavily laden quality tourers usually used in the old days.

If the bike has chrome steel wheel rims (try magnet), you might want to consider either getting exceptionally good pads (such as Kool Stop Salmons), or better still new wheels with alloy rims for more reliable braking.

OP
OP
S

sparty69

Thanks for the info. Yes tyred, that is the same bike, except my sons is red :biggrin: . The brakes are side pull, not centre pull. As for changing the wheels, well if I could find some 24" rims for a road bike I would!! I've tried searching for 24" road wheels and they don't seem to exist anymore. Would MTB wheels do, but with road tyres fitted?

tyred

Legendary Member
You would first need to check exactly what it says on your tyres. (507 x 1.x?) Just like in 26" wheels (and 20" wheels), I have a suspicion that there may be more than one size of 24" wheel. If you can find a rim close in size to the original, there is no real reason why it couldn't be used (obviously with the correct tyres for that rim).

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I didn't know the bike has 24" wheels, sorry.

To replace the rims/wheels, you would need to check which 24" standard you have. The typical 24" mtb rims you can easily buy have BSD of 507mm, while old British kids bikes usually used a different, larger size although they are all loosely called 24"! You should read this if you haven't already. Of course if the existing rims are larger, the brake drop problem could be magnified with modern rims.

Secondly if you are going to replace the hub/wheel, do check the OLDs of the existing bike and compare that with potential replacements' beforehand. It is hard to guess what is there at present, but modern hubs are typically wider.

Top Bottom