Brake upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willam

My brakes need some attention, they are Tektro Auriga, I have a pair of Shamino Deore m615 callipers that I’ve never used and also a set of levels I can pull of another bike, wondering if it would be much of an upgrade? I would have to buy the hose, for the “upgrade” or a bleed kit for the Tektro and some pads, so about the same cost.

Would it be worth the hassle or not?

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
You'll likely need a Shimano bleed kit too so keep that in mind.

I'd say that overall it's probably an "OK" upgrade, you'll get a bit better modulation and power with the Shimano's but it really depends on whether you think that is lacking in your current brakes.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

You'll likely need a Shimano bleed kit too so keep that in mind.

I'd say that overall it's probably an "OK" upgrade, you'll get a bit better modulation and power with the Shimano's but it really depends on whether you think that is lacking in your current brakes.

Should have mentioned I have the Shamino bleed kit, bit surprised tbh that this bike has Tektro breaks as the specs say they should be Shamino, (always seen the disclaimer on specs but never see such a big swap as this before) but only the MT200 so probably around the same spec as the Tektro’s I guess.

The brakes are bad now but have to say I have had no issues with them and never considered them bad, just remembered I had the space shamino’s sitting around, been working on the bike so thought why not!

If the answer was a resounding yes them I would go for it, think I’ll just service the tektros and see how they polish up, the compatibility of the Shamino non deore levels and fitting the correct olive and pin has me thinking I would be looking at a big headache going for the upgrade.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Might be cheaper and easier just to sort the Tektros. I have them on one of my bikes and they pull up my 19 stones very sharply.

Youll be back to square one if you fit new brakes and the same problem (contamination, poor bedding in, etc) strikes again.

That aside, M615s aren't much of an upgrade. I have them on my Giant and their performance is largely similar to the Auriga's on my Carrera, ie, quite decent modulation and stopping power for reasonable money. The M615s are perfectly decent...but so are the Tektro's when functioning as God intended.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yeah very and the pads need changing.

In which case I’d just bleed them, assuming you were happy with them before. If the colour of the brake fluid looks fine then just a top up and bleed is needed , otherwise replace all the brake fluid and bleed. It’ll take about an hour for both brakes if you haven’t done it before.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

I assume you mean a set of Deore Levers you can pull off, not a set of Levels - that's a SRAM brake. :whistle:
Shamino but not swore, would that matter?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
P.s. You can reuse bleed kits. If mineral oil get a bigger container like 500 mL. It doesn’t go off and means you can then bleed whenever necessary which isn’t usually necessary more than once a year.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

In which case I’d just bleed them, assuming you were happy with them before. If the colour of the brake fluid looks fine then just a top up and bleed is needed , otherwise replace all the brake fluid and bleed. It’ll take about an hour for both brakes if you haven’t done it before.
When you say to just bleed do you mean to just pump the air out of the level rather then open both the calliper and the lever? Only opening both to do a full change?

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
When you say to just bleed do you mean to just pump the air out of the level rather then open both the calliper and the lever?

Bleed involves getting air out of entire system from calliper, the hose, to lever. It’s no good getting air out of one part of the system if there are pockets of air elsewhere.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

P.s. You can reuse bleed kits. If mineral oil get a bigger container like 500 mL. It doesn’t go off and means you can then bleed whenever necessary which isn’t usually necessary more than once a year.
Interesting, just watch a video where they said mineral oil goes off as it attracts water from the air? Thought it sounded off as doesn’t oil and water not mix?

Top Bottom