Brakes, Gears...............Pick one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdapayne

John the Monkey said:
I've seen a few SCR's around town lately (the students have bags of money, it seems) lovely bikes.

One of them could've been me! Riding a blue scr 2 usually along Oxford/wilmslow/palatine road?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Very possible jdapayne - my commute goes from Cheadle via Parrs Wood road onto Wilmslow Road and Oxford Road. I'm usually huffing along on a red and white Nigel Dean 10 speed, with red and white patterned bar tape.

P.H

Über Member
Get the cross tops, they're easy to fit and cheap, I can't think of a single reason not too. I notice more bikes designed for everyday riding rather than racing are coming with them as standard equipment. I fitted them to a tourer a few years ago and now wouldn't be without them. You'll always be able to assert more pressure on the brakes with these than from the hoods, it isn't a question of strength or practice it's simple leverage.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
jdapayne said:
One of them could've been me! Riding a blue scr 2 usually along Oxford/wilmslow/palatine road?

There was a blue SCR2 parked outside the Kilburn Building today too, coincidentally - is that yours?

Tim Bennet. said:
only a freak can get their thumbs up to it from the drops.

Cheers mate;) - I can do it !

I've angled the shifters inwards slightly, but I find I can just keep hold of the drop with my fingertips and reach up far enough with my thumb to change.

And I'm not double-jointed or with massively big hands.

It can be done !

jdapayne

John the Monkey said:
There was a blue SCR2 parked outside the Kilburn Building today too, coincidentally - is that yours?

That would indeed be mine. If you see me on it say hi.

(sorry for not really making any useful contributions to the thread - all I can say is that cross tops sound like quite a good idea - might think about them myself)

Jon

Top Bottom