Braking hard with rear brake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bizarrely had to brake pretty sharpish today when the chain slipped as I was heading down Reigate hill. Was on the drops so arse backwards, legs stiff, front and back brakes squeezed until full stop. Think it helps on modulation as I have discs. Techniques probably all wrong but a hassle-free stop.
You are almost there with the technique. All you can do to improve is to not use the back brake at all. Maximum deceleration is when the rear wheel is JUST about to lift. At that point the rear wheel contributes nothing to the stopping and is best used for tracking and keeping the bike's rear behind you.

Can't say I've ever noticed the back wheel doing anything as in the OP when braking. There must be hundreds of hipsters on fixies laying in ditches nationwide as I type.

A long time ago as an impressionable youth I read something about braking and have basically done it ever since - it works for me. Start applying rear brake slightly before the front, then for maximum stopping full on hard on the rear and a more controlled application of the front. The proponent? - Barry Sheene.

Can't say I've ever noticed the back wheel doing anything as in the OP when braking. There must be hundreds of hipsters on fixies laying in ditches nationwide as I type.

A long time ago as an impressionable youth I read something about braking and have basically done it ever since - it works for me. Start applying rear brake slightly before the front, then for maximum stopping full on hard on the rear and a more controlled application of the front. The proponent? - Barry Sheene.
You seem to disagree with the phenomena described by the OP and the reasoning given for it. Would you care to point out where the faults in the reasoning are?

yello

Nope. Wrong again.

yello

As I kid, in NZ, we'd do 'broadies' or broadslides, ah dammit, I'll quote myself...

Broadies - short for broad slides. Basically, get up a head of steam, slam on the rear brakes, plant a foot down and swing the back end round... ideally whilst staying on the bike. The idea was to kick up as much gravel, dust, debris, whatever, as possible. Much easier if you had pedal brakes. Coming off was called a wipe-out.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I went up to the top of Hampstead Heath yesterday and turned back to go home in the rain. It's pretty much downhill all the way to Baker Street with some quite fast sections on Rosslyn and Haverstock Hill, ample opportunity to investigate my appalling braking technique on a slippery road.
My back wheel came round to say hello at the slightest touch of the back brake. It was quite fun.

I went up to the top of Hampstead Heath yesterday and turned back to go home in the rain. It's pretty much downhill all the way to Baker Street with some quite fast sections on Rosslyn and Haverstock Hill, ample opportunity to investigate my appalling braking technique on a slippery road.
My back wheel came round to say hello at the slightest touch of the back brake. It was quite fun.
As hard as it is to believe, the front wheel won't do the same. Gradually focus on re-acquainting yourself with the front brake. On dry days, go down that hill and practice only using the front.

NorvernRob

I don't use the rear brake a lot, but a while ago I had a car slam on in front of me and instinctively grabbed both brakes. The rear came straight around almost parallel with the front, I let go and managed to straighten up ok.

As far as I understand it the rear wheel is unloaded when braking heavily, hence it loses traction very easily.

Top Bottom