Braking on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doyler78

Are all brake levers on bikes set so far forward on bikes as I just went out on my bros bike as he has a road bike and I am about to buy one (Planet X SL Carbon or whatever it's called)?

I took the bike out for a 33 mile jaunt to see how I would get on and I have to say it was a mixed experience. My bros bike is a Giant SCR 3.0 which I know will be heavy in comparison to my own and the components are obviously not as good as mine will however my real problem was that I found the reach to the brakes on the hoods awkward and from the drops almost impossible (so much so I gave up trying). I will be getting either Ultegra or Dura-Ace levers so as I said above will they be any different ie closer than those my bros bike (Sora).

This had nothing to do with my reach to the bars it was simply my hands are small and therefore I had probs just getting enough of my fingers round the lever to able to provide enough pressure on the lever to be able to brake properly.

Most of the probs I experienced were to do with the bike rather than position. I found the wheels and tyres so heavy and unresponsive. Acceleration was such an effort and the gear changes were far from smooth.

One thing that really annoyed me was not knowing what gear I was in. On my flat bar I have little plastic jobbies (haven't a clue what you call them) that are attached to the handlebars that tell me what gear I am in. So handy and that will take some getting used to.

Still I can see that with a lighter bike, better wheels and tyres that I will certainly ride faster and every bit as comfortably as I do now if only the levers don't become an issue.

***ADDED AFTERWARDS TO CLARIFY - I am getting fitted for my new Planet X. I didn't realise setting up of levers was actually part of any bike fit. Never seen it mentioned in blurbs for such services.***

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
I am not quite sure if I understand the question.

If your problem is the position on the bars the levers are held on by a clamp and can be moved to wherevers comfortable.

As someone with small hands, I know where you're coming from. This one's been discussed before so do a thread search for brakes.

If reaching the levers is a problem then you are overstretched. You can get shorter stems. For using the brakes though:-

-Firstly, you have to get use to road bike brakes.
-Secondly, wrapping your thumb around the top of the hood and extending your fingers down is the way to go.
-Thirdly, don't have your brakes set too tight, some slack in the levers will give you more leverage at a more convenient point where the smaller hand can get the pressure on.
-Fourthly, you can buy shims to bring the levers closer to the bars. I have the same problem on the drops.
-Fifthly, type of brake block can make a huge difference, might be worth experimenting.

Gearing indicators are just not an issue. I have them on none of my bikes. You will soon know by feel and speed which gear you're in. In fact feel is far better. I find a computer with cadence on is excellent for developing gear feel. I pay more attention these days to cadence than speed. Choose the gear to suit the cadence.

Are you moving from a mtn bike to a road bike? If so the pedalling position is different and you will need to get used to that before you can accelarate the same and lay down the power.

All in all a few weeks should see you adjusted to it all.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

OK when I have my thumb round one side of the hoods and my fingers obviously round the other side when I stretch my fingers out to wrap around the lever I have difficulty getting enough of my finger round the lever to be able to apply enough pressure on the lever to be able to stop effectively. Each time I tried to force my fingers further my forearms and front of my shoulder ached. When I wasn't trying to brake I had no such aches and don't now.

I don't know how else to explain it.

You haven't told us how tall you are or anything.

Also, I have to say, buying a PX carbon for £1000 without ever having ridden one seems pretty stupid to me.

I guess that the bike didn't fit you, and that your bro doesn't know how to set up levers.

Go to a bike shop, try out a properly set up bike that fits you.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Thanks Cackle you seem to know where I am coming from. I will do a search on your suggestion however it looks like you have pretty much got things covered there with that response. :tongue::blush:

I'm coming from a flat bar road bike (Sirrus Comp). To be honest I really think it was the wheels and the tyres. It just felt like I was constantly having to push harder to get them to move.

Looks like there's lots I can do so I will certainly raise this when I go for my bike fitting just didn't want to ask the question and look like a t*t. Much better in a forum where you aren't really known :biggrin:

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
You haven't told us how tall you are or anything.

Also, I have to say, buying a PX carbon for £1000 without ever having ridden one seems pretty stupid to me.

I guess that the bike didn't fit you, and that your bro doesn't know how to set up levers.

Go to a bike shop, try out a properly set up bike that fits you.

If only my brother had built the bike himself. He got it from a LBS and it was set up by them. If anyone therefore doesn't know how to setup levers then it the LBS however I don't think that is the case!!!

It seems Cackle understands where I am coming from.

Where did I say I was getting an off the peg bike. I have been in communication with Planet X who have pointed me in the direction of a local bike shop here in Northern Ireland who sell planet X bikes and where I can get fitted therefore I have every intention of getting properly fitted. Indeed I was quite prepared to go over to them for the fitting until they pointed out the alternative.

My question was in relation to my ability to reach levers not my reach to the bars which is absolutely fine. It seems I am not alone and thanks for making me feel stupid. Always helpful when someone has a genuine concern.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just ask questions with the LBS - I'd have thought the SCR would have better tyres and wheels than a Sirrus, or at least similar.

Reach is an issue for the levers - shimano are starting to address that for our digitally challenged folk..... but it's on the lower level equipment, and not reached Ultegra or Dura Ace just yet - think 7900 series Dura Ace will get reach adjustment - some time next year !!

Crackle is right about leaving a bigger gap with the blocks, so you are pulling hardest where your fingers get the best grip/power.

Mortiroloboy

You will get used to a road bike, you are experiencing what everyone does, different ride position, different gear ratio, plus we don't know anything about your dimensions, the bikes size, so our responses will only be generalised.

I would second JRG personally I wouldn't be spending a grand on a bike when I haven't had a chance to ride it.

Without wishing to offend you , it seems that you need to do a bit more research, my advice would be visit a good bike shop, have a look at what they have, ask for a test ride, better still get properly measured www.bikefitting.com

I run a SCR 4 as my winter hack, it has alloy forks, it did have the OE
alex DA22 's but I swapped them for a pair of Mavic Aksium Race, I wouldn't describe it as sluggish, but it is a bit of a lump probably weighs in at 22lb, but it's a winter bike so I'm not worried, obviously you will notice a huge difference between a SCR and a carbon framed bike with better wheels.

As for your hand /brake lever interface issues, you may just have small hands, I wear a size 8/9 glove, wouldn't describe my hands as large, more average, and I don't experience any problems applying the brakes, they aren't top spec calipers or levers, and the pads are basic, but they will do the job, obviously a better bike will come with better quality components all round, as a rule if you place a straight edge along the underside of the drops, i.e. parallel and in contact with the entire bottom section of the drops (hope this makes sense?) the bottom of the lever should touch the straight edge.

bonj2

Doyler you do know that you aren't OBLIGED to have drop handlebars if you don't want them.
If you like your current flat bars, maybe you could simply get the PlanetX carbon frameset? and then just upgrade whatever else you need to.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

bonj said:
Doyler you do know that you aren't OBLIGED to have drop handlebars if you don't want them.
If you like your current flat bars, maybe you could simply get the PlanetX carbon frameset? and then just upgrade whatever else you need to.

Thanks Bonj but I do want drops. I felt comfortable on the drops except I couldn't really reach the brakes so moved to the hoods when I needed to brake. Not ideal but this isn't my bike so the point of my post was to ensure that this was something that I could remedy. It seems there is much that I can do ensure my tiny hands work with my levers much better when I get my bike.

Thanks Fossyant re: the lever issue. Glad it seems to be getting some attention. Pity it will be a bit late for myself however I can always upgrade later if I find it necessary.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm on day four with drops for the first time since school, freaked me out at first as the brakes felt too far away and awkward when I did get to them but thats already passing, it's a matter of getting used to and comfortable on the hoods and the grip to the brake lever, granted I've got big hands

it'll be fine when you buy the bike from a decent shop, this'll all be dealt with

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Tynan said:
I'm on day four with drops for the first time since school, freaked me out at first as the brakes felt too far away and awkward when I did get to them but thats already passing, it's a matter of getting used to and comfortable on the hoods and the grip to the brake lever, granted I've got big hands

it'll be fine when you buy the bike from a decent shop, this'll all be dealt with

Good to hear you are getting on with them now. Yeah I feel a lot more comfortable with things now from what yourself and others have said. I will discuss all this with the bike shop when I go for the fitting. Not familiar with the shop itself as it is out of my way but a lot closer than Doncaster ;). Checked out their site and they have a pretty decent cycling team so suppose they must know something :tongue:

RedBike

Sora levers work completely differently to Dura-ace. Dura-ace can be easily used from the drops whereas Sora is near impossible. The brakes actually work too!

I think Dura-ace levers are reach adjustable but the parts needed are not supplied as standard.

Not much to say about the wheels. Obviously lighter wheels / tyre help a lot; but the best way to get the bike to accelerate quicker is by getting fitter.

Top Bottom