Brands you trust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't trust any brand - they all at some point produce something below par or of bad value, I try and judge each purchase independently.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Interesting thread. I take great pleasure in finding "equivalents" of popular brands at much cheaper prices. I then scoff at those who are, in effect, paying for the bloated marketing budgets of the branded products

However, if pushed, Longines watches. Can't think of any other brand I "trust" inasmuch as I'm willing to pay their premium for their product

Smudge

Veteran
Then there are brands that were once associated with quality, but that brand name gets bought or used under licence and put on cheaply made substandard stuff.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I recently replace my old faithful box of a tv with one of those stupidly big flat screen skinny Sony tv's. Oh yes very nice picture great colour quality but mickey mouse sound. Of course there is no room for decent speakers inside such a thin case which is 95% screen . So plugged the thing into my old Bose speakers ....eh voila !! great sound , love my Bose^_^

I recently replace my old faithful box of a tv with one of those stupidly big flat screen skinny Sony tv's. Oh yes very nice picture great colour quality but mickey mouse sound. Of course there is no room for decent speakers inside such a thin case which is 95% screen . So plugged the thing into my old Bose speakers ....eh voila !! great sound , love my Bose^_^
My relative cheapo Hanspree tv sounds fab through a set of Yamaha YST-MS30 2.1 speakers. They're long out of production but ebay was my friend, so now there's a set on the PC as well.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Apologies, there’s a store in the shopping centre near me and it looks pricey. I’ve never been in. I hope that will earn your forgiveness. :blush:
Go on in, be brave , it costs nothing to look :evil:

Interesting thread. I take great pleasure in finding "equivalents" of popular brands at much cheaper prices. I then scoff at those who are, in effect, paying for the bloated marketing budgets of the branded products

However, if pushed, Longines watches. Can't think of any other brand I "trust" inasmuch as I'm willing to pay their premium for their product

Food is a good example of this.

A lot of own-brand stuff is either indistinguishable from the branded or it can even be nicer. Blind taste tests on "Eat Well For Less" are a classic case in point. OK, there used to be a time when own brand stuff could be dire, but in recent years the supermarkets have really upped their game in this respect.

I rarely buy branded stuff - usually only on yellow sticker.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Some brands have done very well out of being anti-brand. Think Skoda or Aldi.

Initially only known by the cognoscenti, these are now seen as desirable brands.

Top Bottom