Brazen Theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
The two suspects - both dressed in black, like the lass in the background watching the theft.
Hmm, easy to pick out along with the trillions of other folk dressed in black, so they can be 'different' to everyone else - ! :rofl:

hoopdriver

Guru
This is why, on the eighth day, the Good Lord looked around and said: Let there be handguns....

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Here ya go.. Name & shame!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I don't know much about locks but the round metal bar it's made of looks quite thin, is that normal?
It looks to be a relatively cheapish d-lock, possibly an "OnGuard" d-lock. It certainly isnt a kryptonite one, which is a bit disproportionate given the cost of the bike. Whether it would have mattered on this occasion is another question...

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
outside the Surrey Quays shopping centre. I've often locked bikes to that stand.

Unless it's just a £25 hack bike, one day your luck will run out there too. You can build all the shiny retail parks and yuppie flats and call it Surrey Quays rather than Surrey Docks - but it doesn't alter the fact that it's still a dodgy area.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Unless it's just a £25 hack bike, one day your luck will run out there too. You can build all the shiny retail parks and yuppie flats and call it Surrey Quays rather than Surrey Docks - but it doesn't alter the fact that it's still a dodgy area.
Yes, far safer to live where it's Range Rovers that get nicked.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Another ebike costing north of £3000 stolen.
Looking at the faces, these are probably "children" in the eyes of the law, and as such will be dealt with by way of a slap on the wrist - assuming they are identified at some point.
Incidents like this are the reason why I would never spend a lot on a bike. To come back and find that gone, must be stressful. And if you come back and catch them in the act? I like to think I would "have a go" with some assistance from passers by, but against some wee unpredictable nutjob armed with an angle grinder, and his pal? This is where the law and justice system in this country is serious lacking IMHO... Without getting all political, the Saudi's have the right idea in dealing with this......
Bring a few Iraqi police down here, they'll sort it out.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Bring a few Iraqi police down here, they'll sort it out.
I was sat in a new cafe in town today. It has big glass windows and faces the library which is 50m away. I had just got my hot chocolate and cake, when 2 police vans and 4 police cars screamed up, sirens blaring. There were about a dozen officers, one with a dog. Four of them armed with sub machine guns, the rest with pistols. It was like watching a film set while eating my cake. Someone came into the cafe and said a man had walked into the library wearing a balaclava :ohmy: I swifly moved my Buff into my pocket Steal a bike in Denmark, you must have a death wish^_^

I have to say, sadly, that I'm not surprised.

It's been like this for years for motorbikes where locks get cut off in broad daylight, ebikes are easier to move and move on.

I have to say, sadly, that I'm not surprised.

It's been like this for years for motorbikes where locks get cut off in broad daylight, ebikes are easier to move and move on.
yes - ebikes seem to me like a gift to thieves - I wonder if their popularity might lead to a fall in the theft of non electrics?

Drago

Legendary Member
I was sat in a new cafe in town today. It has big glass windows and faces the library which is 50m away. I had just got my hot chocolate and cake, when 2 police vans and 4 police cars screamed up, sirens blaring. There were about a dozen officers, one with a dog. Four of them armed with sub machine guns, the rest with pistols. It was like watching a film set while eating my cake. Someone came into the cafe and said a man had walked into the library wearing a balaclava :ohmy: I swifly moved my Buff into my pocket Steal a bike in Denmark, you must have a death wish^_^
About 20 years ago, early one cold frosty morning, I got sent to invesigate a chap walking along wearing a balaclava. I asked the control room if they were joking, it was minus 8 or something and balaclavas ate actually for keeping people heads warm, and considering the bitter weather and the fact he was doung nothing more dodgy than walking along he was probably just trying to keep warm.

The control room inspector told me he was not joking, and I should go and investigate the matter. It seems the simply act of wearing warming headgear on a freezing cold day, with no sign of a shotgun or crowbar, was suspicious.

So i went to the area, found the chap walking along, and - feeling like a bit of a berk - asked him why he was wearing a balaclava. "Because its -8 and I'm trying to keep warm". I took great delight in telling the FCR "I told you so".

For an encore I was half expecting to be sent to a sighting of a suspect with a carving knife in a kitchen, or a motorcyclist wearing a helmet, but the call never came.

Top Bottom