Brazen Theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SydZ

Über Member
About 20 years ago, early one cold frosty morning, I got sent to invesigate a chap walking along wearing a balaclava. I asked the control room if they were joking, it was minus 8 or something and balaclavas ate actually for keeping people heads warm, and considering the bitter weather and the fact he was doung nothing more dodgy than walking along he was probably just trying to keep warm.

The control room inspector told me he was not joking, and I should go and investigate the matter. It seems the simply act of wearing warming headgear on a freezing cold day, with no sign of a shotgun or crowbar, was suspicious.

So i went to the area, found the chap walking along, and - feeling like a bit of a berk - asked him why he was wearing a balaclava. "Because its -8 and I'm trying to keep warm". I took great delight in telling the FCR "I told you so".

For an encore I was half expecting to be sent to a sighting of a suspect with a carving knife in a kitchen, or a motorcyclist wearing a helmet, but the call never came.
Must admit it felt odd walking into the bank last year wearing a mask. I’m sure I’d have quickly been pounced upon if I had tried that pre-COVID.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The simple fact is if you leave anything of value where it can be taken then it will be sooner or later. For the town centre unless its 2 minutes run into a shop. You need a very cheap bike.
All these people that are having high end bikes stolen like this and at railway stations, what do they expect?
People will not risk being slashed by an angle grinder for someone else's bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
yes - ebikes seem to me like a gift to thieves - I wonder if their popularity might lead to a fall in the theft of non electrics?

Ebikes are often not a good prospect for thieves.

You can rag it around until the battery goes flat, but after that you have problems.

Not all bikes support on bike charging, although I think that Trek does, so you may have to drill the lock to remove the battery, even if you have a charger.

I suppose if you receive that Trek cheaply enough, it would be worth buying charger, although you still couldn't remove the battery which would bite you on the bum if it failed.

There's usually several ebikes on ebay sold as 'charger/keys lost', so almost certainly stolen.

Ebikes are often not a good prospect for thieves.

You can rag it around until the battery goes flat, but after that you have problems.

Not all bikes support on bike charging, although I think that Trek does, so you may have to drill the lock to remove the battery, even if you have a charger.

I suppose if you receive that Trek cheaply enough, it would be worth buying charger, although you still couldn't remove the battery which would bite you on the bum if it failed.

There's usually several ebikes on ebay sold as 'charger/keys lost', so almost certainly stolen.
couldn't the thieves sell on to others who can sort those issues?
after all lots of high end stolen bikes leave the country I think.
Got to ask - do you leave yours anywhere - if so what type of place/how locked?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
couldn't the thieves sell on to others who can sort those issues?
after all lots of high end stolen bikes leave the country I think.
Got to ask - do you leave yours anywhere - if so what type of place/how locked?

As I said, if you could buy it from the thieves cheap enough it would be worth buying a charger.

I only leave my ebike locked at cafe stops, and even then like to keep an eye on it.

The lock I use is an Abus Bordo because its mounting plate was already fitted to the bike, which at least means I always have it.

You can get Riese and Muller ebikes 'keyed alike', although mine isn't.

Were it not for general theft concerns I'd use the bike for more utility journeys.

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/acc...NDf-lri6OmrnF2s2IXjr1VoRnrEAzM7BoCAG4QAvD_BwE

I use a cheap ass bike for my errands and the bikes that are locked at such locations are cheap bikes. Not sure why he left a £3k bike at such a place.

As I said, if you could buy it from the thieves cheap enough it would be worth buying a charger.

I only leave my ebike locked at cafe stops, and even then like to keep an eye on it.

The lock I use is an Abus Bordo because its mounting plate was already fitted to the bike, which at least means I always have it.

You can get Riese and Muller ebikes 'keyed alike', although mine isn't.

Were it not for general theft concerns I'd use the bike for more utility journeys.

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/acc...NDf-lri6OmrnF2s2IXjr1VoRnrEAzM7BoCAG4QAvD_BwE
ah so you do have real concerns - seems over and above a non powered bike - it's a real pity as electric bikes seem to me to have a real mega use for utility trips. A real business opportunity here I think for anyone who can address this real problem.

As for thieves selling cheap - it's my impression that they very often do in order to shift stuff quickly. Selling on to some other crook.

I'm pretty sure some of the thievery reverse supply chains would put professional logistics companies to shame.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Will a shop sell you a charger though if you haven't bought the bike from them or cant provide a receipt?
I think they will either be sold on for very little or sold to someone who then ships them out of the U.K

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Will a shop sell you a charger though if you haven't bought the bike from them or cant provide a receipt?
I think they will either be sold on for very little or sold to someone who then ships them out of the U.K

Chargers are freely available, not least because some users want a spare, or a second to charge at work.

Bosch offer a standard charger and a 'travel' charger, which is just a smaller (and slower) version of the standard one.

Not cheap, chargers for some motors are £100+.

Some years ago I had a Powacycle ebike - it came with only one key

I rang Powacycle and asked bout getting a second key - they didn;t really reply. I just got put on hold and transferred to someone else then hold again

I presumed they were rather dubious and didn;t want to help just in case it was stolen.
In the end the lock key cutting shop managed to create a second key - which I gave to the new owner when I sold it a couple of years ago

Drago

Legendary Member
Must admit it felt odd walking into the bank last year wearing a mask. I’m sure I’d have quickly been pounced upon if I had tried that pre-COVID.
Indeed. After years of helmet bullpois at petrol stations (the signs should actually read "robbers - please leave shotguns outside") its amazing how quickly all the made up security objections suddenly disappeared and face coverings became virtuous.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I leave my Brompton outside the library I mentioned earlier, along with the high end electric bikes. I have a thin wire cable I made myself. I never worry about it not being there.

Our society in Denmark is totally different to the UK.

Top Bottom