Bread makers any good ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I'm thinking of buying a bread maker in order to help as part of a low(er) salt diet, Have any of you used them ? are they any good and how easy are they to use ?

Many thanks all.

darthpaul

Yep they are good, simple to use and nothing like waking up to fresh baked bread in the morning. I would highly recommend the Panasonic SD255, I have had one for over a year now and love it. Plenty of good recipes in the book and loads online to. There is a big thread on this breadmaker here on MSE Forums

garrilla

We've been using a bread machine for about 6 years. However, we rarely let it bake the bread> We tend to use for making the dough and then we bake it in the oven because the bread can get a bit damp from condensation and the mixing paddle is a PITA. We also use it for Pizza dough, which the kids love, and for making jam in the summer/autumn.

wafflycat

I've had a Morphy Richards Accents breadmaker for almost a year now. In that time I've produced all the family bread apart from two loaves. The key is to keep it out on the work surface, and a supply of flour & yeast in the store cupboards. That way it gets used.

Good bread ;)

EDIT: Forgot to add. The one I have got the Which? 'best buy' seal of approval.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0010YPB...ive=7966&creativeASIN=B0010YPB3Q&linkCode=asn

wafflycat

Gerry Attrick said:
Another plus for the Panasonic. It is good that you can set the timer so the bread is ready when you want it, but it is still no substitute for hand made.

Timer on the one I have (different make), it's a good feature to have on a breadmaker.

wafflycat

For me, the benefit of a breadmaker is that I get *real* bread, not mass produced fluffy pap, yet all the hard work and timings are taken care of, so I can get on with other things whilst the machine is doing all the hard work of kneading..

yoyo

I have had a Panasonic breadmaker for over 10 years. It is very easy to use and I wouldn't be without it.

I've got a Morphy Richards Fastbake and it's going strong for heading on three years now. It usually does a loaf overnight to be ready in the morning for work sarmies; you can set mine by 'finishing time' (so you can tell it to be ready in say 8 hours).

Also great to use a dough setting and then finish in the oven.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Also had one for over ten years and wouldn't be without it. Chuck in the ingredients whenever convenient, set the timer for the time in the morning you'd like your hot bread ready, job done.

spire

To the point
Although it's meant to be an automatic process, your bread will improve as you gain experience.

As MP says, let the bread cool down before you try to eat it: temptation leads to collapse!

Davidc

Guru
Great things, use one to make bread and also just make the dough when I have time for proper shaping and baking.

You do need to use some salt though. I don't understand why but the bread goes a bit flat if the amount is too low. A lot less than in shop bought bread though.

Top Bottom