Breakfast cereal sugar/fat content.........I'm gobsmacked!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I enjoy a variety of breakfasts but quite often have bran flakes or...........if going for a ride/game of golf will have porridge/porridge & banana etc.etc.
How surprised I was to look at the "ingredients" on the Morrisons bran flakes............12% sugar :eek:

So......i googled it and found this is a recognised problem.
e.g. my Quaker oats-so-simple are (according to one forum) one of the worst of all cereals for fat content.
As for "kids" cereals e.g. Frosties & coco-pops.............it seems the manufacturers are trying to kill all the nations children :rolleyes:
Weetabix comes out as the best for fat/sugar content.

So when you think you are eating healthy............you just dont know unless you read the small print.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
"Processed" food. If you like porridge just go for the standard packs with nothing added.

screenman

Legendary Member
Blimey Dave7, where have you been hiding for the last loads of years.

Try this one,
30g dried fruit
Calories 92 Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g
Sugars 20 g :evil:
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Search our food database by name:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Blimey Dave7, where have you been hiding for the last loads of years.

Well I did realise that lots of cereals would be loaded........BUT.........I (stupidly???) assumed bran flakes would be healthy as that is one of the supposed benefits of this type of cereal.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
What is interesting is if you actually weigh the stuff and get an idea what a tea spoon full equates to (approx 6-7g if I remember correctly), then work out how many spoons of sugar are in a given meal or drink, and how much you/your kids are actually consuming in a day, mind blowing stuff. Obviously things like cola and flavoured milk drinks are pretty bad, cola being 26g in 250ml drink or about 3.5 spoon fulls, concentrated fruit juice around 3 spoons in 200 ml.

Look our for bear alphabites cereal, instead of sugar, they use nectar.

Comes with some handy magnets which you use to attach screws and bolts to or alternativly stick them
On the fridge and learn the alphabet with words (b for bear, x for x ray etc) ha ha

Top Bottom