Breakfast cereal sugar/fat content.........I'm gobsmacked!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Sugar, salt and fat are all natural and organic. The human body needs sugar fat and sodium (amongst other things).
All three can be found in food.
When these three are extracted from their natural source or, in the case of sugar (sweetener) a chemical source and added to stuff to enhance the flavour and make it taste like food then the trouble starts.
If you extract the sugar (syrup) from corn and add this to everything a person eats and drinks because it tastes good then the question of what is healthy to eat is irrelevant.

We were looking at "Breakfast cereal sugar/fat content". So the focus of discussion was the amount of fat or sugar in breakfast cereal. The subtext of that is the calories in the fat and sugar bunged in the cereal.

As a number of others have pointed out it does also run into other elements of the food what is in it and how much is eaten and indeed your lifestyle too.
Actually @Over The Hill you asked for alternatives, then declared my suggestions to be not healthy.
Given their lower calorific value and much reduced salt and sugar content, not to mention the lack of added chemicals, I would still consider them healthier than a bowl of cornflakes as part of a balanced diet.
You are free to disagree, but I will still be right.

So you are saying that a Cheese Scone from Greggs for breakfast that is 20% fat is healthy and contending that this is healthier than Cornflakes which are 0.4% fat.

I would love to hear how you reach the conclusion that a Greggs cheese scone has a "lower calorific value".

[QUOTE 3644332, member: 259"]Not full of fat then. You're hardly going to eat them dry, and I don't think many people would be trying Cheerios as a healthy alternative cereal![/QUOTE]
NHS Choices states below 3% to be "low fat" and over 17.5% to be high fat in foods. I would call something that is 20% fat "full of fat" but if you don't like that term then it certainly is a "high fat" food.
Many people DO think Cheerios are a healthy alternative! In fact they are marketed as healthy as they are "whole grain".
cheerios.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
So you are saying that a Cheese Scone from Greggs for breakfast that is 20% fat is healthy and contending that this is healthier than Cornflakes which are 0.4% fat.

Was Gregg's mentioned? Perhaps Sandra's cheese scone is a homemade one, with only good things in it? It might even be a wholemeal cheese scone, in which case it kicks the ass of your cardboardy maize flakes with skimmed milk well and truly into the nutritional dustbin.

Sandra6

Veteran
I've no idea where Gregg's came into it.
A good quality cheese scone has 145 calories,
Cornflakes have 101 but that's for a 28g serving and a normal bowl full would likely be double that.
Fat content of the scone is 4g and cornflakes just 0.2g
Sugar, none in the scone but 1.8g in your cereal
Salt 0.5g in my scone and 0.7 in the cornflakes.
That's before milk. So, on balance , even though my scone is higher in fat, I'd still consider it a healthier option.
"Have a bowl of cornflakes for breakfast" said no dietician ever.

Sandra6

Veteran
NHS Choices states below 3% to be "low fat" and over 17.5% to be high fat in foods. I would call something that is 20% fat "full of fat" but if you don't like that term then it certainly is a "high fat" food.
Many people DO think Cheerios are a healthy alternative! In fact they are marketed as healthy as they are "whole grain".
cheerios.jpg
Well if nestle say it, it must be true.
I repeat. Fat is not the enemy.

sarahale

Über Member
I eat an incredible amount of sugar and what is considered unhealthy food. Fat I'm not so worried about but the sugar can't be good. I have jam on toast for breakfast with fruit smoothie, very high sugar breakfast.

But then I go to the doctors and they tell me I'm the perfect weight (if not slightly under) blood pressure is low, cholesterol low, resting heart rate of around 50 and generally in really good health.

sarahale

Über Member
My dad and grandma both had heart attacks so I am constantly trying to improve my diet, its hard though.

vickster

Legendary Member
It sounds like you are ok on the risk factors. Unfortunately, family history of heart disease is hard to beat :sad: My recent blood tests were all ok, other than a slightly low level of good HDL cholesterol (bad LDL ok). My brother has the same so I'm thinking there's a genetic element too, and my GP did say there isn;t anything I can do about it (I should probably start on Omega 3 though)

gavintc

Guru
Of marginal interest, there is more sugar in UK sold Cheerios than the Cheerios sold in N America. My Canadian wife was horrified when she tasted the UK stuff.

Sandra6

Veteran
Brazil nuts, 100g contains 77g of fat. Wow that's high.
Marshmallow flumps. 100g contains 0 fat.
Which is the healthy option?
By your reckoning @Over The Hill , we should all eat flumps for breakfast.
You can keep your cornflakes, I'll take my advice from a qualified nutritionist.
Here ends my contribution to this discussion.

Top Bottom