Breakfast how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goffins

A cigg and a cup of tea is all I have time for before setting off.
But I always have Bannana in my bag and a Cranberry creal bar.

+ I always have a loaf of bread in the Fridge at work.

So I ride in on empty, get changed then eat my Ceral bar, followed by my Bannana then 3 slices of white toast with butter and a cup of sweet tea.

jimboalee

You should get 50% of the energy for the ride down your neck at least 12 hours before the ride begins.

Example; 200km Audax, circular route. Start 08:00 Sunday. 16 Deg C average temp forecast.
Total calorie expenditure 5000ish.
1300 extra calories on Friday evening.
1300 extra calories on Saturday.
600 calories for breakfast 2 hours before the ride.
600 calories at first control.
600 calories at half distance.
600 calories at third control.

I'm trying to get rid of some flab, so I don't eat any extra on Friday evening, and reduce the feeding during the ride to 300 calories at each control.

On a 100km, I have a 600 calorie breakfast and a 600 calorie snack at half distance.

On rides less than 50 miles, I don't eat anything extra to my BMR.

jimboalee

Breedon said:
A big bowel of porridge with some suger and a cup of coffee, start to get hunger pangs around 9.00am have my break at 9.30.

There's going to be some very wicked comments about your method of cooking porridge.

montage

God Almighty
I just eat as much as I can - usually this is a huuge bowl of cereal, but sometimes the toast, banana, smoothie, more toast, yogurt gets in there aswell.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
:tongue: I much prefer mine in a BOWL..................:ohmy:

Seriously tho....do you really NEED to eat breakfast??? I very rarely do, maybe some cereal mid day but I dont feel the need to eat much early on.Went for a 26 mile spin today and apart from 5 bottles of water:ohmy:had no food and felt fine.Felt great infact! Had some cereal when I got home so in no danger of wasting away:biggrin:

Breedon

Legendary Member
Breedon said:
A big bowel of porridge with some suger and a cup of coffee, start to get hunger pangs around 9.00am have my break at 9.30.

Ohh balls, i mean bowl but you knew that :laugh:

Plax

Guru
Lisa21 said:
:rolleyes: I much prefer mine in a BOWL..................:sad:

Seriously tho....do you really NEED to eat breakfast??? I very rarely do, maybe some cereal mid day but I dont feel the need to eat much early on.Went for a 26 mile spin today and apart from 5 bottles of water:ohmy:had no food and felt fine.Felt great infact! Had some cereal when I got home so in no danger of wasting away:biggrin:

Yes, you do;
http://nutrition.about.com/od/nutrition101/a/breakfast.htm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/32143/five_reasons_why_its_important_to_eat.html

Jim_Noir

Think it's really all down to how your body copes with it. I never miss breakfast and it's always the largest meal of the day for me. This is down to every coach I have had has always said that for the body and the sprit to be in good order to get up and make breakfast, sit and enjoy it so you are mentally and physically ready for the day. Even if this means getting up early. I work shifts, so if I have a 12 hour day shift get up at 5am sit and have breakfast, walk the dogs then I am ready to cycle to work (only 8 miles). I don’t need to eat again until I get home, however I know my body need fuel so I will eat fruit and raw veg during the day. When I am on nights I still sit and have breakfast at 5am as I try to keep my eating to the same pattern. Aside from cycling I run at least 10k a day and at least 2 hours in the gym, so breakfast really is my sit down meal of the day.

jimboalee

This kind of thing is a personal matter. A few missed brekkies and you will know if you need them or not. I found I don't need them.
My morning alarm is at 04:45 and I'm out by 05:00. I arrive at work at 06:25 after 22 miles. One cup of coffee and an Extra Strong Mint is my breakfast; an hour and a half before eggs, sausages and black pudding in the canteen.

I wouldn't force anyone to go without a breakfast before an hour's riding, but it might be a good experiment to skip breakfast and take a tub of Frosties to snack on 60 minutes after arriving. Or cold sausages if you're a Carny.:ohmy:

Top Bottom