Breakfast or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
As someone who has lost 7 Stone a few years ago the healthy way, ie exercise and eating properly I have a good idea of when and what to eat. In my opinion you need to eat something first thing before going out for an early morning ride just to keep you fuelled up and kick start your metabolism. My early morning ride routine is some porridge or just some toast with jam or ham. Don't go out on a 30 mile+ ride on empty.

bororider

As someone who has lost 7 Stone a few years ago the healthy way, ie exercise and eating properly I have a good idea of when and what to eat. In my opinion you need to eat something first thing before going out for an early morning ride just to keep you fuelled up and kick start your metabolism. My early morning ride routine is some porridge or just some toast with jam or ham. Don't go out on a 30 mile+ ride on empty.

I rode 30 miles yesterday on an empty stomach. Would you not advise that at all. I just can't bring myself to eat at 530am before I ride. Or anytime come to think of it

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I will eat on a sunday before a bigger planned ride but I can work as a carpenter ( manual labour ) and ride on empty . Ive never had to diet in my life , in fact I could do with putting some on but if you already have a fat reserve there and you wish to lose a little of it why would you add more fuel before you ride ? Your body will use the reserve you already have to fuel you wont it ?

Raging Squirrel

there was a report in one of the magazines that suggested cycling before eating kick started your metabolism, meaning that you burned upto 30% more fat throughout the whole day

Frood42

I know where my towel is
My tuppence worth:
Calories in vs calories out - burn more calories than what you take in and your weight will go down (1lb of fat equals ~3500 calories).

Exercise to improve fitness.
Eat better/less to reduce your weight.

It is suggested quite abit that you should try:
Carbs for pre-workout (toast, porridge, bannana)
Protein for post workout (chicken, fish, cheese)

Or just eat when you are hungry, I cycle 22 miles into work before breakfast and I have been fine.

Starvation mode is not going to be a problem for most people in the developed world.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
My tuppence worth:
Calories in vs calories out - burn more calories than what you take in and your weight will go down (1lb of fat equals ~3500 calories).

Exercise to improve fitness.
Eat better/less to reduce your weight.

Or just eat when you are hungry, I cycle 22 miles into work before breakfast and I have been fine.

Starvation mode is not going to be a problem for most people in the developed world.

Sorry but I think you've over valued it by 2p! Calories in vs calories out take no account of quality of nutrition, which is paramount. Do you seriously think it makes no odds whether you get your calories from transfats or fresh organic vegetables?

ETA though you do redeem yourself by later saying eat better/ less. I'd say betteris most important!

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Sorry but I think you've over valued it by 2p! Calories in vs calories out take no account of quality of nutrition, which is paramount. Do you seriously think it makes no odds whether you get your calories from transfats or fresh organic vegetables?

ETA though you do redeem yourself by later saying eat better/ less. I'd say betteris most important!

I made the assumption that the person would be eating a balanced diet, I know, my bad.

There is no good or bad food, there is only eating in moderation, calories in vs calories out does work (although you can still lose weight not eating perfectly, but you will be malnourished, and your body composition will be less than ideal).

I have lost more than 4 stone doing calories in vs calories out or even IIFYM (if it fits your macros).

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Sort if agree, but I also kind of violently disagree. Good food is basically food, meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts berries, anything we've been eating for thousands of years.

Then there's the crap that comes from factories or laboratories.

But a lot of this, despite being called food is more 'food like substance' with little nutritional value, and causes a whole host of problems. This is why we have a obesity epidemic, and a whole host of 'lifestyle' illnesses, chronic fatigue, etc.

For example 'foods' containing transfat, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, MSG, they are all, in my humble opinion, bad. There see also foods containing known carcinogens, but in 'safe' quantities.

To me it ain't rocket science, look at what's happened since we moved to a highly processed diet, look at what's happening in India and China now as they move onto Western diets, the evidence is clear to see.

Keith Oates

Janner
I get up fairly early each day and usually have a good size bowl of porridge before setting off on a 25 Km commute and find that it works well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bodhbh

Guru
Do whatever floats you're boat. I get up, cycle 10miles in, have an apple and a pint of milk, then don't eat again till dinner around 1-ish. There's some mid-morning stomach rumbles, but if you're on a diet you're gonna get hungry sometimes. I'm never hungry in the morning till I've done something anyhow and would rather lay in bed till the last minute - why eat when you're not hungry when you're loosing weight?!

This part I agree with completely, because my personal experience has supported it, not just by losing weight (which granted is important, and part of my goal to, but fueling bodies does have to take priority).

If I go out on a ride with zero-carb intake for breakfast, which was basically a two-egg omelette, then a 20 mile ride which itself is fantastic/normal/ et cetera, but come afternoon I have no energy, I'm tired, my head is killing me to the point I'm taking iburophen, this is regardless of what I've eaten at dinner after I've come back, regardless of what I've eaten at tea.

I decided to switch it up and experiment on myself, at first I thought it was hydration, so next few rides I made sure I was well hydrated on and off and it didn't help at all, then I changed nothing except breakfast, added just one slice of toast with just a one egg omelette making it the same calorie total for breakfast and the afternoons are headache free and I don't feel tired.

It is about doing what's right for you and a little experimentation doesn't hurt at all, I don't think there's one rule for everybody.

Top Bottom