Breakfast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firm Button

Often in a rush in the morning so normally try to get 2 mugs of tea and some kind of breakfast down me neck but this is not good just before going for a quick spin out. When you’re in a rush, what do you have when you only have an hour or less from waking up and going out for a ride?

Steve

OP
OP
Firm Button

Firm Button

Thanks, I don’t want anything too heavy, but defo have to have a mug of tea! Also, I’m trying to avoid getting exercise induced headaches too....

With a little practice, it's not hard to cycle fasted. I used to do 16 miles on a cup of coffee, another when I arrived, and finally something breakfasty mid morning.

But if you are looking for something simple to eat before you head out the door: Bircher müsli. Google for recipes, but in it's simplest form, just mix a handful of oatmeal with yoghurt before bed. In the morning just add a bit more yoghurt or some water to get it to the consistency you like. Then sugar, jam, lemon curd or (the night before) dried or fresh fruit, or just as it comes. It takes seconds in the morning, very good for you, a genuine tasty treat and - with a spoon and a screw top jar - can make a good breakfast when you arrive at work.

My favourite variant is a grated granny smith and a handful of dessicated coconut. Mixed with yoghurt the apple doesn't oxidise, so a single apple can make 3 days breakfasts.

Spoons47

I have been doing the fasted rides which are very good for toning up and losing a few pounds. Soon as get back it’s a banana, followed closely by Mackerel on toasted seeded bread and raw spinach, heaven

Slick

Guru
I'm a bit frightened to do the fasting before a commute as the only real breakfast choice for me at work is a greasy fry up. My morning routine is up at 5am, 2 weetabix then a bit mug of green tea whilst getting the gear together. Hot shower and more tea on arrival that keeps me going until lunch.

snorri

Legendary Member
Prepare breakfast before going to bed, and go to bed earlier so that I can get up earlier in the morning and not need to rush breakfast.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've done a fasted ride, but I always try to have breakfast first.

I did go through a phase of having smoked salmon and scrambled eggs (don't laugh, it costs no more than a decent bacon butty), but I bought some cheap salmon that repeated on me for hours and put me right off!

I usually now have either scrambled eggs on granary toast, or a bowl of fruit n fibre with whole milk - none of that skimmed nonsense for me. ^_^

Top Bottom