Breakfast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Same as always, two slices of toast, buttered then covered in brown sauce, tomotoes sliced on top & sprinkled with black pepper. I'll have boiled egg (or two) as well if I am going for long ride.

OP
OP
Firm Button

Firm Button

Thanks peeps, I am having 50g of musli with 100ml of semi skimmed milk and a mug of tea at the moment. The musli needs half hour at least to settle I find. I’d be happy just to have a banana and a mug of tea if it means I can get out sooner.
Even though I’m being careful to make sure I have fuel in the tank, I still get headaches, not major but not nice. Maybe it’s not breakfast I need, it’s cycling more to get used to it!
Steve

I drop my eggs in a special coddling sock I made from a pond liner and some waxed thread. This in turn goes into the hot water bottle in the bed. If I get up early - about eight minutes after I drop off - I can reach for my nicely coddled egg before I get up. I sometimes pop a teabag in the hot water bottle water while I’m at the kettle, so I can wash down my egg. Saves so much time.

I get Michelle Rodriguez to crack an egg underneath my bed every night and by the morning it is fried by the sheer power of my overweening masculinity.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A (small) bowl* of cereal or porridge, sometimes I prefer toast/peanut butter, should be fine.

If you eat as soon as you wake, then sort the bike and kit out, then perform the mornings ablutions, the food should have had time to settle.

*After many decades I’ve realised my portion was double or triple what I actually needed. A big bowl of cereal could make me uncomfortable on a hard ride.

I've found exactly the same thing. Before a longish hard ride I was having a whopping bowl of porridge. Result was that for the first hour on the bike I was stuffed

Now I tend to have some light cereals and some toast. Thats fine for 30 miles. More than that and I'll plan in a refuel

I dare say that if I had the porridge 3 hours before the ride it would be perfect but that would mean getting up to eat at 6am and I'm not doing that

All my rides which some are shown in the newbie thread and most are between 20 / 30 plus miles are all done fasted all I have is a coffee as soon I get up, depending on milage I may have a protein shake when I return , but no breakfast until about 11am

crazyjoe101

It depends on the ride really, I normally just ram down a bowl of Bran flakes but if it's a big-boy ride where I'm in the saddle all day then I make the effort to make a bowl of porridge, sometimes I'll top-up either with a banana once I'm out but that's getting into the realms of on-ride food.
If I'm not recovering from a long or intense ride I'll sometimes have a black coffee, no food, and then ride fasted for an hour or two strictly at a low intensity (zone 1 & 2) before either returning home or getting to the first cafe stop on a steady paced club ride. I find if I ride fasted whilst still recovering from efforts the previous day(s) that I am very lethargic and low on energy for the rest of the day so I avoid this.

si_c

Guru
Cup of tea before the commute, breakfast when I get to the office if I have it, often these days I'll just wait til 12 and have an early lunch. Longer rides I'll have a light breakfast and eat as I go.

Top Bottom