Breakfast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Being an early riser this "do not have much time in the morning" saying makes me smile, you have had all night to get ready.

OP
OP
Firm Button

Firm Button

I do about 10miles, but get headaches that some on during the ride. It’s quite hard work at times as it’s very hilly near me...and I’m a beginner having only just got on a bike after 27years of no exercise....

Lonestar

Veteran
I get to work early and have my brekkie there.

Being an early riser this "do not have much time in the morning" saying makes me smile, you have had all night to get ready.

Doesn't always work for me as I get up at different times...My shifts consisted of me getting up last week at 1230am/4:30am/4:30am/3am/430am on five different shifts .....and the bread is quite fresh as I get it out of the freezer and make sandwiches when I get up.

I slept for over 12 hours last night as it's my day off to make up for the sleep I lost.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Another vote for porridge simple fat and keep's your energy level up for longer.
Prep the night before heat it up , eat and go .. simples

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Often in a rush in the morning so normally try to get 2 mugs of tea and some kind of breakfast down me neck but this is not good just before going for a quick spin out. When you’re in a rush, what do you have when you only have an hour or less from waking up and going out for a ride?

Steve

I hate riding starved and have a 17 mile e/w commute. On working days I never have an hour, but don't feel like I am rushing. My routine is however planned.
Get up and wash. Cold water is invigorating.
Get kettle on. Toilet.
Whilst tea brewing, make a bowl of cereal; 2 Weetabix topped with Fruit and Fibre.
Get dressed while cereal being nuked and tea brewing.
Catch up with news on the red button whilst having breakfast.
Toilet
Pack mobile and glasses in backpack.
Shoes and jacket on. Collect lunch from fridge or worktop.
I am normally leaving the house 30 minutes or so after the alarm has gone off. In cold weather another 5 minutes would be added for additional layers, gloves and faffing with lights

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I hate riding starved and have a 17 mile e/w commute. On working days I never have an hour, but don't feel like I am rushing. My routine is however planned.
Get kettle on. Toilet.
Whilst tea brewing, make a bowl of cereal; 2 Weetabix topped with Fruit and Fibre.
Toilet
I am normally leaving the house 30 minutes or so after the alarm has gone off. In cold weather another 5 minutes would be added for additional layers, gloves and faffing with lights
I’d like more detail next time @Bazzer. Perhaps a few simple pen and wash drawings, or a short video detailing how you pack you bag. I mean, sandwiches in first, or glasses?

tom73

Guru
Get kettle on. Toilet.
Toilet

30 mins great timing takes me longer just to get the dog ready for his morning walk with his ever growing list of morning meds not to counting his eye and ear care routine

Jody

Stubborn git
Anything less than 1.5-2 hours and I don't eat in a morning. I prefer to get some food when I get back.

You have plenty of stored energy in your body for a 10 mile 1 hour ride without needing to fuel up.

Julia9054

Guru
Porridge.
On work days, i eat it at work - one of those instant pots, on non work days, proper porridge then ride.
Occasionally as a weekend treat i will ride to my favourite cafe 11 miles away and have breakfast there.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I’d like more detail next time @Bazzer. Perhaps a few simple pen and wash drawings, or a short video detailing how you pack you bag. I mean, sandwiches in first, or glasses?

Lunch is carried to work in a seat post bag, along with keys and cleat covers. It's a bit cooler, saves my lunch from being squashed and saves revisiting the backpack. ^_^
It may be a prescriptive routine for workdays, but it works for me. A bit like a mathematical formula: you don't necessarily need to know why a formula works, but provided you accurately follow the right steps, you get the right answer. Or in my case, out of the house in a reasonable time, without forgetting anything.
Also as I like to be in work for 6.30am, unless I get up at very silly o-clock, time in the morning is precious.

rivers

How far can I go?
All of my morning rides are fasted. I can't eat breakfast first thing. I tend to do anything from 16-40 miles before I eat (16 is commute, 40 if I'm out for a short one. Long rides I tend to stop around the 30 mile mark). Bar the commute, I always have a flapjack or something on me in case I do start to feel peckish.

steverob

Guru
I normally have cereal most mornings anyway, so having a bowl or two before going out on a weekend ride is par for the course and seems to set me up nicely. However I have always found that the combination of cold milk, hot weather and exercise do not sit well with me, so for the past few weeks I've broken with tradition and just started on my mid-ride snacks as I'm leaving the house, washed down with half a can of Coke instead. There's no way I can go out on a completely empty stomach. I'll revert to normal once the temps drop below 25 degrees.

Top Bottom