Breaking Away on UK TV (Oscar winning movie, cycling theme)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[A copy of my post over at the old place]

I've just been scanning the TV guides and spotted these two films, well worth recording/watching:

Ch4, Dec 24th, 23:10 - 00:45, Sexy Beast. You won't be thinking of Gandhi when you see Ben Kingsley in this film ;)! (Strong language and violence)

ITV1, Dec 25th, 01:50 - 03:35, Breaking Away. I've been waiting ages to get a chance to see this film. How many movies with a cycling theme ever won an Oscar?

Set your video recorders or PVRs now before you forget!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm actually quite irritated Sexy Beast is on as it'll be on Channel 4 HD (which isn't available) as well, but will still watch it. Breaking Away, sounds interesting.

mondobongo

Über Member
The trailer on IMDb for Breaking Away looks ok, unless in a straight to video stylee that is all the best bits.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

While I'm doing my holiday film list...

Film4, Dec 23rd (TONIGHT!), 21:00 - 23:10, El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth). Spanish with English subtitles. In the fascist Spain of 1944, the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world.

I watched it last week on DVD and thought it was very good.

Ch4, Dec 25th, 22:35 - 01:00, [url='http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318462/]Diarios de motocicleta'[/url] (The Motorcycle Diaries). Spanish with English subtitles. The dramatization of a motorcycle road trip Che Guevara went on in his youth that showed him his life's calling.

I enjoyed that on DVD last year.

girofan

ColinJ said:
Ch4, Dec 25th, 22:35 - 01:00, Diarios de motocicleta' (The Motorcycle Diaries). Spanish with English subtitles. The dramatization of a motorcycle road trip Che Guevara went on in his youth that showed him his life's calling.

Yes Mcycle Diaries an interesting film. Not unmissable, but worth viewing instead of most of the Crimbo dross!
But, Breaking Away, do me a favour! Hollywood take on a European sport. They can't even do a decent American Football film. It's full of over-the-top Americana. Watch something else!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Don't come crying on the Forum if you insist on viewing.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

girofan said:
But, Breaking Away, do me a favour! Hollywood take on a European sport. They can't even do a decent American Football film. It's full of over-the-top Americana. Watch something else!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Don't come crying on the Forum if you insist on viewing.
Well, I'm away but my PVR is already set to record it. I'll watch it when I get back oop north and see if I agree with you! American Flyers was pretty crap really but I still managed to extract some enjoyment from that. The fat bearded Russian cyclist for example - I thought he was really funny :becool:.

mondobongo

Über Member
Radio Times have given it 4 stars, review from theirsite below.

Director Peter Yates's delightfully unpredictable comedy uses a local bicycle race to uncover the sexual, class and economic tensions within an all-American community. The Oscar-winning script by Steve Tesich has a wry wit and great sensitivity, and the performances are marvellous, especially from Dennis Quaid and, more particularly, Dennis Christopher, who plays a character so enamoured of the Italian cycling team that he speaks with an Italian accent, bursts into Verdi arias and re-names his cat Fellini. Costing a mere $2.4 million to make, it was destined to be dumped by the studio, but became a huge box-office success, initiating the scores of Brat Pack, rite-of-passage pictures of the 1980s.

SamNichols

History Boys was on a couple of days ago wasn't it? Not a flawless film by any stretch, but a good diversion (plus it was all filmed in my old school, which gives it a certain nostalgia appeal for me).

I haven't yet checked the listings, but it is my guess that I'll have seen most of the recent films on. Pan's Labyrinth is a great film by the way, just don't let young kids watch it: it's a 15 at rightly so, very bloody.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

twentysix by twentyfive said:
No "Breaking Away" in my listings :thumbsup:

I'm in the Central Region - where are you ColinJ?
It is on in the Central region - that's where I currently am, visiting family in Coventry for Christmas. You are looking very early Christmas morning aren't you? It's on in 4 hours time!
Times are given in 24 hour clock :smile:

Top Bottom